Chapter 17

3rd Person POV

"It was getting late..." A man grumbled. His gray hair aging fast than his disciple returning back to the laboratory. He said he was going to be out for a bit. But now it was hours since then and with no reports or updates, he was getting a little worried. The man sighed, the day was setting quickly, it was going to be the first day of DST so were was his idiot disciple at? "I guess I'll go look for him."

He walks toward his coat rack. The old thing was fractured and barely holding up. It didn't matter to him. As long as it was doing it's job it was still "new and working well". He bundled himself up. An old leather padded coat that reached towards his knees matched with his similar styled gloves. It had been around with him since he started working here. So maybe 15 years or so. To him, they were his memories throughout the years he was be employed under Vist Corp. Of course Vist Corporation has been terminated because of the incident years ago. A wild fire that consumed everything, killing many people and slaves in the process. It was a disaster. But that was a story for another day.

This was the man's first time outside since a very long time ago. A long time since he felt the vitamin D—for the sun's rays Hikoro would always say—flowing into him. He was also cooped in his lab researching that the outside affairs were always managed by someone else—namely his pupil. He had no interest in the townsfolk since he first came to the island day one. But his pupil was the opposite. A genuine caring man. But it was because of this, he was wary of the man. Pupil was always just a "label" for him. Over the 5 years he stayed with him, he grown—mainly out of habit—to say it. In return, he helped me slowly complete project CLAN.

CLAN was project dedicated to artificially transplanting abilities to normal citizens. However there were problems to it. It was incomplete in two factors.

Firstly, there wasn't any test subjects alive. After ordering a cage of slaves, they only lasted a couple months! How insane was that? The man takes me as a fool doesn't he? However, I wouldn't say that in his face. We are still business partners after all. But I did learn something important.

Kids from 3-7 had the highest survival rate and more compatible than any other age group.

Secondly, the only successful test subject died from the fire after all there was no way she could survive. How would she be able to break through the restraints? He held his body for a moment. Remembering the girl, scared him. The last look she was plainly nothing. The fear she had didn't died out but she seem to accept this from day one. Just how did she become so calm and rational after the experiment after screaming and crying lie any other person? Was she always like this or did we, the scientist, managed to release something into this world that we shouldn't have.

Even if she did survive, would she be able to remember it? If she didn't, he was glad. He wasn't going to be a lab rat for what happened decades ago. If she did, in the future if she survived, no doubt she'll come back for revenge someway or another.

But I must applaud Kin. In order for her to escape—potential, he would've been the person to help her. There was a short time that he disappeared, but for the most part he was spotted stopping the army of slaves leaving. Too bad he drew the short straw and became the failed subject. He had so much going for him. Good looks. Sociable. Hard working. Cooperative. Every good skill and trait that made him the ideal resume candidate. But still, he worked here. That means he had a little "something" that screamed maniac. Maybe he liked mini lads? Probably not, countless other kids were there are he never batted an eye for him. So something compelled him to help her. Who knows, I certainly don't.

That, however, scares him less than the boy who the child for the founder of Vist Corp. He was completely the main reason why the man—Kanchirou—feared the outside world. The memory of the violent violet irises that seem to radiant hatred and angry "marked" him. He couldn't explain it. Every time he went outside, he could sense it. Could him an idiot, but he could feel it. The eyes of the kid marking him. He knew he had to be alive. There was no way unless he cursed him, but that was another story for another time. This sicken the man and caused him to question his sanity many and many and many times. Just how could he explain the phenomenon to someone else? No one could understand him.

Soon the man was at the fork of the road and could sense something threatening with the scenery. It was fall and everything but it just scared him even more. The colours of the autumn leaves and leafless trees with the sunset was probably nice to another. But to him, it scared him. It was quiet, the only sounds he could definitely hear were the crunching of leaves underneath his boots as he continued to walk. But no sound of the failed test subjects that mutated into horrific beings. Those thirsty bastards. The wind howled weakly, picking up leaves from the ground and displacing it to another He wanted to leave as soon as possible. He quicken his speed. Although half of the decade was me—admittedly—jealous at how perfect Hikoro was, for our relationship to escalate to this. He owns me. He better introduce me one hell of a hot mama.

Snap.

He froze. Someone was trailing him. From where and when? He felt himself shake one again. He turns to his right and sees a leather jacket fly deeper into the forest. The was his jacket from this morning... Oh hell no. If this was all a prank...! He ran into the bushes and trees to search for him. It was easy to spot him.

"Hikoro you bastard, you know I don't like coming outside! Get back here!" Kanchirou shouted, the fear all gone and anger replacing it. It does't last long however.

He stopped in front of a tree and blocked his way and vision. The man yanks his shoulder but it felt stronger—more trained to be his. But he was last to notice it and more detailed only a rational person could spot. The height didn't match and the scent of his signature cologne was gone too. The odour was foul too and was getting stronger closer and closer to were he wanted him to go. Strange signs that would've saved his live, just for a little longer anyways.

"Hikoro! We need to get back to the lab!" The man didn't move. The scientist was confused now. He was clearly looking at something that obviously spelled like death. He only assumed one of the villagers died and was brutally killed. But now he that he was up close, he can smell a faint scent of rosemary and daffodils—cologne coming from the body. He froze and turn to the hand that was on his shoulder was gone. It was replaced with pain.

"AHHH!!" Kanchirou screamed in pain as he held onto his wrist. He could see it all. The blood tissue, blood, veins, and blood. It scared him more than it hurt him. But he couldn't think—it was all too numbing for him.

Before he could properly comprehend running away. He was kicked onto the ground by the was the leather jacket person. He was soon shoot twice at both legs. Nothing too serious but it was extremely painful.

He kicked the ground and ran for it. He knew that the town was close by. He'll receive help from them and everything. But he couldn't move. He was paralyzed, not by the bullet, but what contained the bullet.

His head was grappled onto and slowly lifted to see the "villager's corpse". Pinned onto the tree was Hikoro in a fearful state. He watched a leaf fall on the head. It browned leaf tipped the weight of the head—who just barely managed to stay on his neck—tip over. The head rolled toward him. The scared expression he had before died a cruel death. His eyes—now dull—scared the scientist. He knew he was next.

Soon he was grappled onto the head again and this time he could see it. Those emotionless yet calm eyes. He froze. She was back and back to kill him.