Reasonable Promises

"Do you want me to show you around or something?" Castiel questioned, a sigh freeing from his lips. He had never really had any friends at this school, and the roommate he had last year was a douche. His name was Balthazar, and he wore V-necks.

Castiel hates V-necks.

Never knew why, but he did.

Anyways-

"Nah, I can find my way around. Thanks, though. Just uh, keep your space, okay, dude? This is my side of the room. That's yours. Don't be crawling up in my bed just for the fun of it." Dean said, and Castiel nodded. That was reasonable.

"You can call me Cas." He mentioned after a few moments of aching, awkward silence. "Well then, Cas. Stay away from me."

That one hurt.

But Cas nodded still, and his blue eyes narrowed at Dean's green ones, and that's when he thought, green eyes like poison. He didn't know why he had thought such a hateful thing, but he did. It just happened. And from then on, he didn't like Dean a single bit and Dean didn't like 'Cas' a single bit. Dean knew that Cas was just trying to be kind; to offer him some help, but Dean didn't need help. He was fine on his own. He'd learned that ever since his father had repeatedly left him and Sammy and beat him and Sammy.

He didn't need Cas.

No, he most definitely did not need, nor want, help from this dorky, black-haired man that just had to be his roommate.

So Dean put his clothes away in silence, and Cas hated silence because it was always included with an aching awkward, and aching awkwards are hard to deal with, but yet again, Cas didn't speak up because his anxiety prevented himself from doing so.

So, Cas had already put his clothes away and set up his few posters and laid down on his bed, plugging in headphones and listening to music; Silhouettes by Colony House. That song always cheered him up. He turned it up almost all the way - he didn't like it too high because it would hurt his ears - and closed his eyes, acting like the poison-eyed Dean Winchester was not in his room, not was he his roommate.

How did it even happen?

Why do they already hate each other?

Because clearly, Dean didn't want to meet Cas in the first place, and clearly, Cas was expecting someone nice this time, and clearly, that was not happening. And Cas thought it was his fault because they had somehow gotten off on the wrong foot, when in reality, it was both their faults and they both knew it, yet clearly, they didn't say anything about that.

They just went along with hating each other.

---

"Fuck!"

It was nine AM and they were both late for their classes, and Dean was the one that cursed because he woke up and checked the time, thinking it was only at least seven AM.

"Dammit, Cas!"

"I didn't do anything! You were the one who was supposed to set the alarm!"

"You never told me that!"

They were both hurrying to get dressed and neither of them showered, but they managed to at least smell fine and put on clean clothes.

"You fucker," Cas said as he picked up his books and put them into his bag before it was slung over his shoulder. "Oh, I'm the fucker? You never told me to set the goddamn alarm and now I'm late for my first class!"

Cas shook his head, slamming the door as he left for his second class of the day because he had missed the first one.

What a wonderful way to start off the school year.

It was hot and sticky outside and Dean did not want to go sit in some boring ass lecture only to go to another boring ass lecture and then food, which might I add, is the best part of Dean's day, then another boring ass lecture, then he had to go see Cas again.

He didn't like Cas, and it seemed as though no one really did.

He noticed that Cas drifted around like those little specks of light you see in sunbeams - unnoticed by most, yet noticed by few, and then eventually, gone.

And he didn't like his eyes, either.

Goddammit, those eyes made him angry.

They were too blue, like ice, and he didn't like the cold, which caused for an all-in-all hatred for his roommate and those damned eyes.

And things most definitely did not go well when Cas got back to the dorm because Dean was already there and his eyes-like-ice narrowed at Dean because he did not want him to be there.

"I'm going to go study at the cafe," Dean said at seeing Cas enter the room.

Oh yeah, that too. Cas was quiet as a church mouse. No one ever hears him enter a room. They see him or don't notice him at all. Just like the specks of light in sunbeams.

And then Dean was off, going to the cafe like he said he was, and Cas was alone.

Although Cas didn't quite like Dean, he preferred not be alone. He did like to listen to music alone, and study alone, and be with himself, but he doesn't like loneliness, and that, I suppose, is what's beautifully wrong with Cas; the fact that he prefers to be with himself and do things alone, yet he despises loneliness.

Odd.

---

The humbleness of the cafe was nice to Dean. Everyone was at a quiet level and the only loud sounds that pierced his ears were the sounds of the register and the noise of one making coffee. He didn't like too much sound, nor too little sound, which he always thought made him sound crazy if he ever told anyone because he would want to explain it as a beautifully painful thing of his, but then that would be an oxymoron, and no one quite likes oxymorons.

Not really, no.

So now, in a sense, they were both alone, both in their own little world, away from each other because they wanted to be.

Away from each other because they both knew they needed to be.

Yet Dean went back to the dorm because he had to, eyes whisking past his roommate with haste, unwanting of his ice-blue gaze. "Don't fucking watch me get undressed," Dean stated firmly, and then Cas was turning away and Dean was taking off his shirt and pants, under the covers of his bed, and pulling out his iPhone.

It was 10 PM by now.

Cas had already done what Dean had just finished doing, and was in the comfort of his own bed, lying away from his rude roommate.

"I hate you."

"I know. Now shut up and go to sleep. Set the fucking alarm."