l. prince of edoras

Start from the beginning

Deciding not to be insensitive after noting that Èowyn was of noble blood and had relations to Thèoden King and his son, Thèodred, Vera stays silent as she watches Èowyn distribute the clothes onto the rack. "Right. Um...these are the robes that have been sent to me by Corin and your brother, I believe these are mostly from your own closet but I added some dresses for you too, in case you need it," Èowyn starts, informing Vera upon the pile in her hands, and sending a forced smile to Vera to conceal her pain. "There will be a...funeral for my cousin and you are invited by my Uncle, Thèoden King. You have a few hours to get ready, the ceremony will begin at sunset," she continues, her voice cracking sorely at the end.

Vera frowns openly as Èowyn turns away from Vera, stopping her sentences short, and keeping silent as she places a hand over her mouth to quieten her sobs and conceal her pain from the guest. Vera didn't know what she was feeling as she has never experienced losing family — apart from her mother but she could still communicate with her — but had experienced losing a friend. Her heart aches at the thought of Boromir and aches further at the hurt Èowyn must be feeling to lose her own blood. She pushes herself off the pillar and slowly approaches Èowyn with cautious footsteps and soft paces. Placing a timid hand on her shaking form comfortingly, Vera waits for her to calm down.

Èowyn sniffles, laughing bitterly and wiping the tears from her eyes. "I am sorry, please, forgive me, your Grace. I have embarrassed myself and my House in expressing so much this moment. I..." Èowyn attempts to apologize, nervously wringing her hands together as she struggles to express her words between her shaky sobs and heavy breaths. The sorrow and the grief were all too new but familiar for her, having had lost her father and mother at a young age, and losing her cousin and brother in one month. Her uncle had come back and many other members of the distant family remain at Edoras but it is not the same.

Vera swiftly interrupts her, shushing soothingly while rubbing her back to calm her down, gently leading her to her bed and forcing her to sit down in order to keep herself collected and calm until the actual funeral. Vera was all too aware of what she was feeling as she had felt that same emotion not so long ago. "'Tis alright, Lady Èowyn, I understand grief much better than most would expect...I deeply give my condolences to you and your family...may Nienna grant you and your family the strength to overcome this moment of weakness, and may your cousin's spirit find his way to your forefather's home," Vera quietly reassures, continuing in her endeavors to comfort her, and sends a prayer to the Valar for Èowyn's sake.

"I would've never thought that a Queen would be comforting me in a moment like this," the blonde chuckles sadly, wiping her tears and smiling sorrowfully at Vera. The brunette chuckles herself.

"Nonsense. Now, lift your head and walk out of that door with your head held high. You will get past this...ready yourself for the ceremony. At least you won't be forced into uncomfortable corsets and itchy robes," Vera tries to lighten the mood, adding jokes in between her sentences but sending the blonde the right message for her to understand and do as she says. Èowyn nods, laughing along with her at the horrid attempts of a joke and stands up. Vera erects along with her, giving her one last smile before moving to detach herself from the girl she just met but stops as Èowyn embraces her swiftly. Shocked, Vera numbly pats Èowyn's back.

"Thank you."

Vera smiles. "Anytime."

Vera had never been to a funeral. She had experienced death, she had sung songs, but she had never experienced the ceremony in which they officially say goodbye to their lost ones with dozens of people gathered to withhold one's memory. In Vera's opinion, she had never seen the use of it and found it a waste of time, thinking that there is no point in going to such lengths about the horrors of death but her opinion changed quickly as she experienced her first funeral. Granted, it was to keep the memory of a man she never met and did not know, but a funeral nonetheless. The people of Edoras were beautiful in their traditions, Vera realized, as she stands next to Legolas with her head bowed down.