29 | we're important

Bailey

We walked into the hallway slowly. The lights above us flickered carefully, turning on. I glanced around for a moment, before noticing the large metal door in front of us. There was a neon sign above it, which read, EXIT.

"Seriously?" Frypan scoffed, crossing his arms against his chest, "Funny."

I rolled my eyes, taking ahold the door handle with my right hand and giving it a small push.
The door opened slowly, letting the smoke that was inside fly out. I coughed, covering my mouth and nose as we entered.
The room was bland, but filled with new technology. There was a long hallway with walls of glass. Small computers are spread out around the room equally along side much larger TV screens. The glass is shot with holes.

Bullet holes.

What the hell happened here?

I walked in carefully, watching out for any shattered glass that might have be on the ground. There were bodies littered everywhere, some almost seemed perfectly placed.
Most of the computer wires are broken, letting their sparks jump out at us.
I took a deep breath in, allowing myself to move forward.

I had seen worse, hadn't I?

Newt grazed his hand across a nearby screen as the rest of our group split up around the room. He sighed, glaring at the image in front of him, "They we're watching us this whole time," he growled, "Those bastards."

I saw Teresa flinch out of the corner of my eye.

It wasn't her fault.
Newt knows that.

I put my hand on his shoulder gently, giving his cheek a kiss before walking toward the computers.
I suddenly looked down, noticing a red button on one of the keyboards. It was flashing vibrantly.
I hesitated with a sigh, before I pushed down on the circle.

"Hello,"

The sudden voice caused all our heads to turn at once toward a much bigger screen hanging on the wall. A blonde lady now stood calmly on the other side, her bright hair in a calm bun.

"'My name is Doctor Ava Paige. I'm Director of Operations for the Wild Catastrophe Killzone Department."

WCKD.

"If you're watching this, that means you have successfully completed the Maze Trails. I wish I could be there in person to congratulate you," she paused to look around. I watched closely as men in masks rushed in behind her, wiping out what I assumed were her coworkers, "but circumstances seem to have prevented it. I'm sure by now, you must all be very confused, angry, and frightened. I can only assure you that everything that has happened to you, everything we've done to you, it was all done for a reason."

Newt's eyes narrowed at her, his voice cold, "Bullshit."

"You won't remember, but the sun has scorched our world. Billions of lives lost to fire, famine, and suffering on a global scale. The fallout was unimaginable, but what came after was worse. We called it the Flare. A deadly virus that attacks the brain. It is violent, unpredictable, and incurable; or so we thought. In time, a new generation emerged that could survive the virus. Suddenly, there was a reason to hope for a cure, but finding it would not be easy. The young would have to be tested, even sacrificed inside harsh environments, where their brain activity could be studied."

She's talking about the maze.

"All in an effort to understand what makes them different." Ava continued, "What makes you different. You might not realize it, but you're very important. Unfortunately, your trails have only just began. As you will no doubt soon discover, not everyone agrees with our methods. Progress is slow, people are scared. It may be too late for us," She sighed, pulling out a gun from under her table and placing onto her temple, "for me, but not for you. The outside world awaits."

She smiled warmly, resting her finger on the trigger, "Remember, WCKD is good. Trust each other, and trust the savior."

Her eyes seemed to meet mine as she finished.

The savior.

She closed her eyes, as the men behind her begin to break in. In a heartbeat, she pulled the trigger. Letting the bullet fly straight into her skull.
I gasped, covering my mouth with my hand as I watched in horror.
The screen went black after a couple seconds, relieving me of that image.
Chuck whimpered behind Thomas, "Is it over?"

Thomas rubbed the small boy's shoulder, "Yea Chuck, it's over."

Teresa pinched the bridge of her nose, "What do you think she meant by the savior?"

"Me."

Everyone turned to look at me, shock spreading across their faces. I watched as Thomas' expression went cold, "What did you say?"

"I'm the savior."

The rest of the group continued to stare at me in confusion. I groaned, gesturing to the screen, "My dream? The grievers? Come on! It's so obvious. It has to be me."

"No," Thomas shook his head, looking down at the ground, "it can't be you."

"She's got a point, Thomas." Teresa commented, "The grievers made that pretty clear."

"See? They didn't want me to die. I'm important to them but, why?"

Newt moved his hand to touch his lips lightly, changing the subject, "She said we're all important, what are we supposed to do now?"

"I don't know," Thomas replied, "but we need to get out of here."

"No."

We all glanced toward the door.

Gally?

Gally breathed heavily, holding a small pistol in his hand. His clothes were torn while his face his covered in blood. Not to mention the giant griever sting that was spreading across his stomach.

"Gally?" Thomas asked, beginning to walk toward him.

Teresa stopped the greenie, placing a hand on his arm, "Don't. He's been stung."

"You can't leave." The third in command croaked.

"We did, Gally we're out. We did it, we're free." Thomas responded, backing up beside Teresa.

Gally coughed, letting out a small chuckle, "Free? You think we're free out there? No, there's no escape from this place, Thomas."

I watched closely as Gally raised his gun, pointing it directly at Thomas' chest. The glader froze, raising his hands into the air, "Listen, Gal, you're not thinking straight. Just put down the gun."

"I belong to the maze," the freckled boy stiffened, "we all do."

"Gally stop, please you're sick!" I pleaded as Newt shielded me behind his back.

"Don't try it, Bailey. I'm already dead."