25 | sundown

Bailey

"Gally," I watched as Newt rolled his hands into fists, only to unroll them immediately after, "What the hell are you talking about?"

He shrugged, "We can't leave."

"Why the hell not?" Minho pitched in, crossing his arms against his chest.

"We were put here for a reason, we can't just leave. We have no idea what's out there."

"So?" I scoffed, "Why does that matter? We have each other."

The third in command laughed, "Really? You think that's enough? The grievers will kill us all as soon as we enter the maze, and then they'll come back for whoever is left. It's simple! We just don't leave in the first place."

He glanced around the room, stopping on Newt, "Come on, Newt. We just lost Alby. Do you really want to risk anymore lives?"

He motioned a hand at me, his voice curling, "I know she's yours."

"You never cared about Alby," Newt sneered, "And don't you dare talk about Bailey like she's an object."

Gally shrugged, making my blood boil as he looked around; unfazed by Newt's comment, "Fine, you all have a choice then," he smirked, "You can agree with Newt, only to be sent into the maze tomorrow night and get eaten by grievers; or you can stick with me and stay safe in the glade. The choice is yours."

A small murmur shuffled around the room, before Teresa rolled her eyes, "You're crazy, Gally. We have to leave sooner or later."

"Call me what you want, princess but it's your deathbed."

The other girl shook her head, moving over to sit by Thomas. I glanced over at Newt, watching as his face twisted with anger, "Fine, I'm with Gally."

What the fuck, Newt?

I glanced at him, confusion and pain washing across my face. He eventually looked up at me, gazing at my hurt expression.
The second in command shook his head slowly in my direction, making sure Gally didn't see. I nodded, gulping slightly.

He's doing this on purpose.

"Newt! Are you serious?" Teresa mumbles sadly, "He's going to kill Thomas."

"I'm sorry Teresa but we have no other choice, we'll find another way."

"Well?" Gally turned around to look at me, "What's it going to be Bailey?"

I glanced over at Teresa and Thomas, guilt spreading throughout my body. I could tell that Newt had a plan, despite what he told Gally.

"Yea, ok," I sighed, "We'll stay."

"Hey, you ok?"

I crouched in front of the pit, along with Newt, Minho, and Chuck. Teresa sat at the bottom of the cage, holding Thomas in her arms.
He groggily nodded, sitting up next to her.

Chuck scowled at him, "What we're you thinking? You could have died, dumbass."

The runner rubbed his forehead, blinking a couple of times before looking up at us. "What happened?"

The second in command sighed harshly, "Gally has taken over; he gave us a choice, get banished at sundown with you or stick with him and stay in the glade."

"And you let him control you?"

"I didn't want to fight Gally," Newt responded, "He's an asshole but he's still my bloody friend for christ's sake."

"He's got everybody thinking you're the cause of all this," Teresa laughed, changing the subject, "Crazy, right?"

"Well he's been right so far," the greenie replied.

"What are you talking about?" Minho questioned, "What do you remember?"

Thomas shook his head lightly, leaning his back against the cold stone wall, "This place, it's not a prison, it's a test. It started when we were kids, they'd give us little missions and then send us up."

"Ok? So they gave us little tests when we were younger, that doesn't mean you're the cause of this." Teresa smiled, giving his hand a squeeze.

"I'm one of them," he retorted quickly, "I was with them."

I chuckled, assuming he was kidding, "What?"

"All this time I was on the other side and so were you, Teresa."

Teresa's eyes lowered, glancing at the ground, "No, that can't be right."

Thomas took a deep breath in, grabbing ahold of her arm, "Teresa, we did this to them."

"That can't be true."

"I saw it all. We were working with them, working against our friends."

"Why would they send us up then?" Teresa asked, "Why throw us into the group now?"

"It doesn't matter," Thomas sighed, before getting interrupted by the second in command.

"You're right, it doesn't matter."

I gazed over at Newt, looking him up and down, "Newt?"

He inhaled sharply, "Because the people we were before the maze don't even exist anymore, the creators took care of that. What does matter, is who we are now and what we do. You went into the maze and found a way out, a way for us to escape this mess."

Thomas scoffed, "If I had done a good job, Alby would still be alive."

"Maybe so but, I know that if he were here, he'd be telling you the same thing. Pick your ass up and finish what you started, Thomas. Because if we do nothing, that means Alby died for nothing and I can't have that."

"Ok, ok, you're right," Thomas responded quietly, standing up to face the cage door, "We need to finish this."

"We have to get through Gally first," I commented, taking a deep breath in and letting it out slowly.

"But, how?" Chuck asked, looking back at me.

"I've got an idea."