"Absolutely not." Claudia immediately shakes her head.

"Then why would they be mass producing weapons?" I retort.

Claudia bites on her lip, clearly unsure of how to respond to me. "I don't know. Maybe they just want to be on the safe side," she says with a shrug.

"I shouldn't have said anything," Jordan mutters. "It's nothing to worry about, Emilia."

"Of course I'm worried." I scoff. "The State doesn't need more ammunition to use against us."

"That's true," Claudia agrees, sinking down in the seat beside me. "Eat up!" she orders, pointing down at my plate, a stern look on her face.

I reluctantly dig in, forcing the food down my throat as they begin chatting about the weather, a clear attempt to change the subject away from the dark realities of Jordan's work.

I've never understood why the State need a weapon factory anyway, the war is long gone. The only logical reason to explain why, is that they intend to use them against us. There's something coming.

And I'm pretty damn sure that Claudia and Jordan know more than they're letting on.

*~*~*

Heidi jumps up from beside me, staring over at Sam in the doorway, his sudden announcement having rendered me speechless. "The trial is today?" Heidi repeats his words and he nods.

"When?" Claudia asks, swiping her hand over her mouth.

"This afternoon," Sam replies, his eyes flicking over to me.

"This afternoon?" Jordan repeats. "Fuck!"

"It was a last minute decision-"

"Why?" I cut Sam off. "Why are they going through the pretence of a trial? They've already decided that they are both guilty."

"Fucking bastards!" Jordan snaps, whirling around and punching his fist into the door frame, barely even flinching from the pain. "As if Zac or Kayla have a chance!"

"Jordan!" Claudia exclaims, reaching out and pulling him to her, stopping him from lashing out once more.

"It's not fair," he says hoarsely as she nods.

"I guess I'll go get dressed then," I mutter, standing up from the couch.

"What?"

"Why?"

"To go to the trial," I reply, confused by their questions. "Surely they're letting the public watch?"

"Well, yes," Sam admits and I nod.

"That's settled then."

"Are you sure this is the right thing to do?" Heidi asks, reaching for my hands and giving them a squeeze.

"Honestly?" I reply softly. "No. But I can't let them sit there thinking that we aren't here for them."

"She's right." Jordan nods, his eyes fixed on me. "We have to go."

"Thank you," I reply, making my way to the stairs and slowly walking up them. I feel numb, the full meaning of Sam's words not yet hitting me.

I can't quite comprehend the fact that Germain is throwing a fake trial, an effort to make them look like decent people? Who the fuck are they going to fool? Certainly not me.

Grabbing onto a plain black dress I pull it on before turning and messily shoving a hair grip in to hold back some of my hair. If this was a real trial, one where my husband and Kayla may have a chance, I'd probably make more effort. It's obvious what's going to happen today.