Chapter 20-

...The Knights...

      Nim walked home with me.
He made sure that I told him everything about my day. He was impressed that I didn't actually hit anyone while learning to fly a broomstick in Sports class. He went on to explain his day. He had different classes. Classes with names that I didn't understand. His excuse was that they were all just 'Shadow things'.
     We stopped right in front of the porch leading to my front door.
     "Thanks for walking me home, Nim," I told him.
     "No problem, see you tomorrow," He waved to me as he walked away. I waved back.
     "See you tomorrow," I replied.
     My father wasn't home when I walked into the apartment. He was probably still at work. Blight jumped out of my backpack and ran walked to the couch. She made a few close circles before laying down and falling asleep.

...

      My father walked into the main room of the apartment to find me sitting by the counter, nose deep in a Magic History textbook.
     "You already have subjects to study?" He asked me, a surprised expression clear on his face.
     "I have to catch up to everyone else in Magic History," I explained. My father nodded.
     "Not a lot of things have happened in our history," My father reassured me. I looked at the thickness of the textbook.
     "Could've fooled me," I said sarcastically.
My father had me tell him about my day as we ate dinner.
     "I am being promoted to supervise all Human and Magic Affairs. My boss quit today and lit the building on fire on accident," My father explained.
     "How did he accidentally light the building on fire?" I asked.
     "He sneezed and accidentally caught fire," My father answered. I nodded. I live in a world where people can accidentally catch on fire. Will I ever get used to things?
      After that, I went to bed and slept. I was positive that my first day of school only worsened my concerns, and that my second would only reassure my worries further.

...

     School the next day was easier. I wasn't late to every class, which in any case was an improvement. Nim and I walked to school together again, making sure to be a little early. Luca joined Nim and me at the front of the school.
     "I heard that your father got a promotion," Luca told me.
     "Yeah, to Head Supervisor," I replied.
     "Maybe you will be asked to join the Bishops," Mayla said quietly. I jumped.
     "Oh, Mayla, I didn't see you there," I forced myself to laugh a little, even though my heart was still trying to restart.
     "People tell me that a lot," She almost whispered.
     "That's... cool," I said awkwardly. She nodded. Luna stepped out of a shadow by the wall and walked over to us. She looked directly at the sun with a completely blank expression.
     "Chill out," She said blankly. She lowered her gaze and looked back at us.
     "Jonathan Murrel sent Derrick Sparks to give something to Delilah," She said blankly.
    "How do you know that?" Luca asked.
    "You learn a lot in the shadows," Luna answered. She said it while looking directly into Luca's eyes with a blank expression.
    "Shadows actually eavesdrop?" Luca asked. Nim and Luna both looked at Luca. Luna nodded.
    "Vampires do too," Nim replied. I looked at him confused.
    "How does everyone blend in so well around here?" I asked in confusion.
    "Shadows can merge with dark areas, Vampires can become invisible, and fairies can hide behind almost everything," Nim explained.
    "Do you listen in the shadows, Nim?" Luca asked. Nim looked down at his feet.
    "You do, don't you?" I asked rhetorically.
    "No, I don't know how to shadow blend yet," He admitted.
    "Most Shadows naturally learn after the age of ten. Nim is half-human, so it won't come naturally to him," Luna explained. Derrick Sparks- Jonathan's goon number 2- walked out into the courtyard just then. Luca and Luna move over to let Derrick stand in front of me. He held out an envelope for me to take.
      "This is from Headmaster Murrel," He said playfully. I took the letter.
      "Are you sure it was Headmaster Murrel?" Luna asked blankly.
      "Headmaster Murrel gave it to Jonathan to deliver to Delilah. Jonathan sent me to give the letter to you," Derrick explained. I looked at the envelope. It was signed by Headmaster Murrel.
     "Do you know what it is about?" I asked him.
     "I just delivered the letter, I don't know," He replied. I looked back down at it.
     "Thanks," I told him. He nodded and went back down the hall.
     "I am going to go check up on our friend, Jonathan Murrel," Luna said before stepping into a shadow and disappearing. I gently opened the letter and took out the folded piece of paper. I opened it and examined it. There was a large picture of a chess piece Knight at the top.
     "Is that an invitation to the Knights?" Nim asked me.
     "The Knights? Most Pipers get invited to join the Bishops, not the Knights!" Luca exclaimed.
     "What are the Knights?" I asked him.
     "The Knights is one of the school's most exclusive Throw Ball team," Nim explained.
     "Why would they want me on their team? I don't know how to play Throw Ball," I asked.
     "They have nine players, they need 10 to qualify for games," Luca explained.
     "So, they just need me to qualify? Then why don't they pick someone else, someone who actually knows how to play?" I asked questioningly.
     "Probably because of your dad's promotion," Mayla said quietly.
    "That makes sense," Nim replied.
    "Only students with high-class parents get into the Knights," Luca added.
    "Is my dad really that important?" I asked.
    "Supervisor of all Magic and Human Affairs is a pretty high-class job," Nim told me. I nodded.
     "Okay, so it really has nothing to do with me then? They just want me there because of my father's job?" I asked.
     "They just need a bench player, Delilah. They probably just want you there for the number," Nim said.
    "Wonderful," I said sarcastically.