Chapter 19 | Leila

His words kept circling my mind that night, no matter how much I wanted to sleep, needed to sleep.

"There isn't a cure."

I fluffed my pillow, then turned it over so that the cooler side was now facing up.

"I have Cancer, Multiple Myeloma," the words repeated in my head; echoing, circling round and round taunting me.

I turned to my left side, then fixed the comforter.  I let out a huff from aggravation.

My eyes were nearly swelled shut and rimmed with pink from hours spent crying into my pillow.  Usually I fell asleep faster than a fruit fly on a cold winter's day.  You know how people say someone will sleep like the dead?  Yeah, that was based on a true story, mine.

Tonight was different.  I couldn't seem to get comfortable, mentally, emotionally or physically.  The night that I needed it most, that was the night sleep chose to remain elusive.  To stay just beyond reach.

"It's an incurable disease."

I started to absent-mindedly play with my long braid as I nervously chewed my lower lip.

"The pack doctors aren't sure how much longer I have..."  I could almost see his face swirling before me, eyes brimming with sadness and regret.

I sighed as I fluffed my pillow again before turning to my other side.  What good was Egyptian cotton when my mind was in turmoil?  Usually it felt like I was sleeping in a cloud: now I only seemed able to hear every creak, feel every groan from the old mansion.  

What was I, the princess from the Princess and the Pea?  It could have been sleeping on a thin layer of sandpaper for all the comfort my mind left me.

"I've consulted with multiple doctors but another opinion couldn't hurt."

Grumbling to myself, I brutally yanked the chain to the lamp next to my bed, nearly ripping it out.  I wouldn't be getting any sleep tonight, not at this rate.  My hands were cradling my throbbing head as I sat up.  I may as well do something constructive I told myself.

The house was quiet, like I was the only living person here.  Scaring myself with that thought, I went to check on my uncle.

The silence was suddenly broken as 'all the single ladies' blared from my phone.  Startled, I fell out of bed, taking the sheet and comforter with me in a tangled mess as I screeched loud enough to leave a banshee envious.  

I put my hand to my heart as my heart pounded away faster than a hummingbird's wings.  I groaned from pain as I slowly untangled the sheets while the ringtone continued to blare.  I quickly checked the time.  It was 2 AM.  Two in the morning!

I suddenly remembered that one of the Alphas, Remus, had brought my phone here when I hadn't called any of them back.  He had complained that they had all been worried but he hadn't wanted to call me when I had said I would be busy.

He had looked slightly guilty, although I wasn't sure why.  I promised to call him before 10 PM to let him know how I was and what was going on.  Only, I hadn't, I had forgotten.

I hoped that it was one of my mates, that nothing was wrong.

VOTE | COMMENT | LIKE | ADD | FOLLOW | SHARE

STAY SAFE | HAVE A GREAT DAY