Chapter 33: Frozen

Start from the beginning

Seconds of waiting turned into minutes as I sat there, alone, not even noticing the time pass.

...

Hunter

I jogged hastily than normal to my car so I don't keep Theo waiting. As I was opening the door, a frantic Rhea ran up to me, her hair disheveled and her face in panic.

"Hunter! P-Please help me. I... My car is dead and I need to go the hospital." She pleaded as she grasped my arm.

"Whoa, calm down for a second. Just breathe for a moment. What's wrong?"

She took a deep breath, her grip on me loosening. "My... my grandmother j-just had a heart attack." Her voice got caught in her throat, her eyes filling with tears.

I patted her shoulder, trying to console her but I didn't know what to do then she suddenly hugged me, her head on my shoulder as she cried.

"It's okay." I rubbed her back as she pulled away.

"I'm sorry. I... I just need to go to the hospital, I need to see her." She said, silently pleading with her eyes.

"Okay then. Let's go." I said, forgetting everything but the current situation.

The two of us were in silence except for her silent sniffling. I looked over at her to find her cheeks wet with tears, her head against the window.

"It'll be okay, Rhea. I may not know your grandmother but I know she'll pull through." I reassured before turning back to the road, carefully driving with the slippery road.

"Thank you, Hunter. I know this is a really big favor to ask." She said.

"It's okay. I understand what you're feeling." I reassured once again.

We reached the hospital, the moment I turned off the engine, Rhea bursted through the doors. I followed her as she ran towards the entrance of the hospital. By the time I reached the entrance, she was already asking the front desk. 

We reached her grandmother's room. A man just outside the door, talking to a doctor. "Dad!" Rhea called out before embracing her father tightly.

They were exchanging some words to each other before her father noticed me. 

"Dad. This is Hunter. He's a friend and he took me here because my car's dead." Rhea introduced.

"I'm Wilson. Thank you for bringing her here." He extended a hand towards me to which I took and shook gently.

Wilson entered the room but Rhea just slumped on a chair, her hand on her knee as she cried. I sat down beside her and wrapped my arm around her shoulder, reassuring her as much as I can with words.

"I... I know my grandmother doesn't have much time left in this world and I just can't bear that. I just know that I have to cherish the moment I can with her." She said as she stared forward before burying her face in her hands. 

"Just let it all out. Just try to make your grandmother feel loved at all you times you can, even if she'll leave this world soon, at least she'll leave feeling loved." I said with a smile.

She lifted her head from her hands, looking at me with a grateful smile. "Thank you so much, Hunter but you can leave now if you want, you've done more than enough. I'll... I'll be fine."

"Rhea, I can't just leave you here. I'll even stay the night here if you need me." I offered. 

She suddenly embraced me again. I returned it as she laid her head on my shoulder.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you. I can't thank you enough." She mumbled against my shoulder.

"No problem. I'm here for you."