I handed Thane a bow and arrow, more or less to assess his own skill level. I had never seen him train, never seen him in action, and I was curious if he was skilled, strong.

He took it, a knowing glean in his eye. He knew what I wanted to know, and was willing to prove himself. He loaded the bow, and took a shot at one of the swinging targets, hitting it directly in the center.

"Not bad," I begrudgingly admit, and he smirks.

"Pass your little test?" He teases.

I shrug. "Let's see you do it with this," I challenge, and hold out an axe. In many ways, it was harder to wield than a bow and arrow, especially with a moving target.

"And if I get another bullseye?" He asks, his voice deepening suggestively. "What do I win?"

I pretend to think, though the predatory way he looks at me makes my mouth dry. "I won't send the next arrow I shoot into your spine."

He laughs, unaffected as always. "As appealing as an offer that may be, there's something else I would much rather have."

His eyes are dark, and he takes a step towards me. I take one back. "Oh?" I say, trying to keep my tone level, though my heart is pounding. Can he hear that?

He takes another step forward, and once again, I retreat, not caring if it makes me a coward. "A kiss," He says simply.

I freeze. "No."

He grins. "Scared you'll lose the bet? Want to just admit that I'm the most capable wolf you know?"

My eyes narrow. He's baiting me. I tell him as much.

He shrugs. "You won't know unless you make the bet. There's always a chance I miss."

I grind my teeth. "Fine. It's a deal," I say. There was no way he would be able to hit a small, moving target with an axe. That would take years to master, and most Alphas never receive intensive weapons training, most relying on the strength of their wolf.

I summon an axe, handing it to him, ignoring the sparks I feel as our hands connect. As soon as the axe is in his hand, he whips around and throws it so hard, so precisely, the axe hits the center of the target and splits it in half.

My mouth drops open. "That's... that's not possible..." I whisper in a combination of both disbelief and fear. How could he have so easily spun and hit the moving target? I don't even think I would have been able to make such a precise throw.

I struggle with my words. "How... You're an Alpha... Why are you so skilled with weapons?" I demand to know.

He turns back around to face me, a wicked smirk dancing on his face. "I was trained by my grandfather. I prefer weapons to my wolf. I like the control I have over weapons."

I swallow thickly. It was the same reason why I preferred my weapons.

"My wolf is... violent. Uncontrollable. I can't be in control of myself when it takes over. Weapons are clean. I can think clearly when I use them," He says quietly, taking a step towards me. I'm too in shock to take a step back. "It's why you use wolfsbane, isn't it? Sure, you may have developed an immunity, but it's not just that, is it?" He asks, and his gaze looks right through my soul.

"S-Stop," I choke out as he takes a step towards me.

His face is serious as he takes another step, closing the distance between us as he captures my cheek in his hand. "You don't trust your wolf. Don't trust the wildness of our fur side. You need to have complete control over everything, even yourself. Especially yourself," He says quietly, and my breathing is rapid, shallow. "You're scared of me because you can't control your response to me. When I touch you, it feels electrifying. Your heart is beating so fast it sounds like a hummingbird," He murmurs, and wipes liquid off of my cheek. I hadn't realized I had been crying.