thirty eight

We left the little kids with the big kids on New Years Eve and left for Natasha's party at 9:00. 

At least we didn't have to worry about Hazel. She'd gotten sentenced the day before to three years in county jail, a fact I was still reeling from a little. I knew how easy it was for her to get a hold of substances to use even in there, but obviously the same was true for the rehabs. She'd been given so many chances and the judge was furious that she'd taken Hank, especially under the influence of all she had tested dirty for upon her arrest; speed, morphine, hydrocodone, and of course alcohol. 

I tried not to think about it, adjusting the heater vents to blow on us. Leif had done our makeup, declining to go with us though the invitation had included him and Paramjeet. They were going to hang out at the house to make sure everything went smoothly there. 

"Have a wonderful time, though, dude. I know you will," he'd assured me as he put the final touches of mascara on my lashes, a gleam in his eye I wasn't sure I trusted.

"You look suspicious," I'd said, narrowing my eyes.

He'd put his hands up, the wand in one, eyes wide and innocent. "I look like I always look, darling. Now shoo."

Now we were on our way, headlights flashing briefly into our eyes before the oncoming car dipped back down from the speed bump it was traversing. "I'm glad it's not far, I'm just assuming all the people around us are already celebrating and not that sober," Halley admitted as she navigated her way through town. "Which I don't love." She looked amazing, her hair down and streaked with blue to match the shimmery eyeshadow and sparkly shirt she wore. At times I still couldn't believe my fantastic luck. 

My heart was full of her. 

"What?" she asked at a red light, the corner of her mouth rising as she noticed me staring. She tapped her fingers on the steering wheel, nervous. 

"Just admiring you." I held out my hand in between us, palm up. "Thinking how lucky I am."

"Aw," she said, placing hers on mine, linking our fingers together. "How lucky we are." She brought our hands up and kissed the back of mine, leaving a faint lipstick mark. "Thanks for wanting to come tonight, it should be fun." She slowed, turning, and we soon arrived at the end of the street. Ten cars lined it, the lights on in all the windows of the little house there.

Halley parked and pulled the rear view mirror toward her to check her makeup. I did the same in the visor mirror, my heart beating too fast. Ugh, people and small talk and social anxiety, oh my. 

"You'll be fine, and you look fantastic," my girlfriend assured me, reading my doubts, and I felt better. "Ready?" She looked in her purse and then added the keys, zipping it shut and taking a deep breath.

"Ready," I lied, and we got out. It was cold, but at least it wasn't raining. She took my hand again and we hurried to the front door. Music thumped to match my heart, rainbow lights from inside silhouetting dancers in the window.

Halley knocked and the door was pulled open almost immediately. A blond with short, choppy hair stood there, her colorful arms on display in a green cami. Tropical birds, vibrant flowers, and lifelike ocean creatures had been inked by a skilled hand. I couldn't stop drinking it in. It was like a kaleidoscope. 

"Hey, glad you could make it," she said, leaning forward to hug Halley. She then stepped back and took me in. "You must be Mary; welcome, both of you, to my humble abode," she said with an easy smile, stepping aside to motion us into the warmth. 

"Thanks," I said, feeling small and shy. Then I remembered I had the most wonderful, beautiful person in the world at my side and that gave me a bit more confidence. "Great house." Ah, Mary, eloquent as always.