Axel: why didn't you say bye?

Grinning, I type back my response.

Me: sorry, I was face timing with my friends.

Axel: talking about me?

Me: in your dreams

Axel: come on, Conley. You can admit it.

Me: Sanders, I will punch you in the face the next time I see you.

"Vienna?" Jumping, I drop my phone into the sink. I look up at my older brother as he leans on the doorframe, smirking. "Who are you texting?"

"No one," I reply way too quickly. Hudson picks up on it.

"Sure." He moves away from the door and continues down the hallway to his room. "Tell no one if he hurts you, I'll hurt him."

I lean my hands against the counter, steadying myself. So Hudson knows too. My phone lights up again as another notification comes through. I look at the text message Axel sent.

Axel: that wasn't a no

My phone drops into the sink again. He definitely knows I like him.

*****

It's the next day at school and I've done a good job avoiding Axel so far. I'm too afraid to look at him.

Students file into Mrs. Wools' class as we wait for the tardy bell to ring. Something pokes my back and I turn around to see Seth leaning over his desk, towards me, holding a pencil.

"What do you want?" I ask, not bothering to hide my annoyance.

He smirks. "Just wanted to talk with you."

"About?"

"Axel."

My face warms the slightest bit at just hearing his name. "What about him?"

"Are you two dating?"

Another shade makes my face a little more red. "No. Why?"

Seth shrugs, nonchalantly. "Just wondering."

He stops and looks at the door. I look as well and see Axel walking in. He glances in my direction and smiles and I give him a shy one back.

"You know he's a player, right?"

Seth's question drags my attention away from Axel. "Why do you say that?"

He ignores my statement and leans back into his chair. "Just be careful. I would hate to see you get your heart broken."

I stare at him incredulously, not believing a word that comes out of his mouth. I learned my lesson when he said my friends would ditch me. They haven't and I don't think they ever will.

Mrs. Wools walks to the front of the class and tells us to go ahead and sit with our partner we chose to work on the packet with. The girl in front of me gets up and moves, Axel replaces her in the seat.

He looks at me smirking. "Conley."

"Sanders," I say back, avoiding his eyes. I pretend to be interested in the question on the top of my packet.

"Vienna." The sincerity in his voice causes me to look up. His earlier smirk has been replaced by a sheepish grin now. "Do I really make you nervous?" he asks, referring to the question he asked me yesterday in the bathroom.

My mouth opens, but nothing comes out. His blue eyes search my face and finally I find my voice. "Yeah?" I whisper, making it sound like a question.