• FOURTEEN •

1997

1997

Cassandra sat her kitchen table, shivering in the cool breeze that her open window blew in. She took a bite of the roll she was eating, and looked out the window. She stood up, and turned on the sink, filling her cup and taking a sip.

Something fell over outside her door. Then there was a small scream. Cassandra ducked behind her counter, grabbing a large knife from the knife block across from her. Someone pounded on her door, and she slowly and quietly stood up, raising the knife above her head with one hand.

She heard breathing, and threw the knife at the figure behind her. She expected to hear the squelching noise of knife hitting flesh. Instead she was met with the noise of metal hitting metal.

Cassandra whipped around, and froze. The Winter Solider. James. Her brother. She didn't see the man take a gun from his side, and pulled the trigger at her head. Cassandra flipped out of the way, landing on her back over the coffee table.

"Дерьмо!" She yelled.

She kicked up, jumping to her feet. He threw a punch at her, and she caught his hand, sending a wave of force through her arm. Cassandra grabbed his wrist, using her knees to hit him in the chest. She punched the underside of his chin, and kicked him where the sun don't shine. He groaned and bent over, and she took advantage of his pain, hopping on his back and elbowing him on the back of his neck.

The solider reached back and grabbed her arm, yanking her forward, onto the dinner table, which somehow held her weight. He wrapped his metal hand around her neck, squeezing it tight enough to block the air, but not hard enough to snap it. In her moment of panic, she punched and kicked the metal, which didn't work.

"James," she rasped quietly.

Her brother's blue eyes widened, and he slowly let go, enough for her to kick him in the stomach. He went flying backwards, and hit the wall. Without warning, a bullet came zooming towards her, and nailed her in the chest. She stumbled backwards, and hit her head on the window sill.

Cassandra stood up blood falling from her chest, her head spinning, the floor swaying. She pulled a pistol from her back, scolding herself for not using it earlier, and aimed at her brother. Against her better judgement, she decided she'd shoot to kill, this was really getting on her nerve.

Her fingers trembled as she slowly pulled the trigger. Cassandra immediately regretted her decision when she pulled the trigger, but thankfully, her aim was off by a lot, due to the amount of blood she was slowly loosing. James took advantage of her delirious state, and kicked her out the window.

The glass shattered all around her, getting tangled in her hair, sticking into her skin. She fell down like a rock, unable to stop herself, or grab onto anything. The people walking by jumped out of the way when she hit the ground, she could barely register the sight of the window she'd fallen from, but she saw the glint of a metal arm in the broken window right before she blacked out.