More Time

It was the day of Meg’s wedding. Trixie was helping Amy boss, everyone, around.

She was just finishing with the garden ornaments, when Trixie saw Laurie walk towards her, he was trying to undo his tie, which had somehow become knotted in his attempt to do it the right way. Jo watched her run up to him and help him tie it. Jo saw how Trixie couldn’t help giggling whenever Laurie pulled a face to get her attention. She saw how Laurie was always staring at Trixie. She saw all this and she wasn’t happy about it. But the two in question were happily chatting away, in their little world of happiness. They spent their time together, sometimes Trixie bossed Laurie around, sending him to get the flowers they still had to pick up from Mr. Laurence, sometimes he sent her away only to run after her with a flower to apologize for sending her away on a goose chase.

Finally, they were ready,

“What excessive promises, giving yourself away to get the other. What a thing, what a gift, always given before it is known the cost or the reward.”

---------------------------

Trixie and Laurie were dancing, not the crazy dancing like when they were at Sally Moffats dance party, more of an intimate type of joking waltz, half serious-half not. More serious than not.

“You know, you can’t dance with me the whole time” Trixie spoke up from where she and Laurie were swaying to the upbeat tune.

“Oh yeah” He demanded “people might think you don’t like me, the way you send me away”

“Oh Lu, you know that’s not true” Trixie was beginning to be afraid she had hurt his feelings

“Yeah, that’s what you say” He glared at her, but she saw one corner of his mouth twitch,

“You jerk” She punched him on his shoulder “How could you play on my feelings like that?”

She glared at him, trying to stop the smile from showing on her face. They only lasted three seconds before they broke down laughing.

They stopped dancing to watch Mr. Laurence ask Aunt March to dance

“Ten penny’s if I can get Aunt March to dance with me.”

Oh, you're on”

Laurie walked over to Aunt March, knelt on one knee, and offered her, his hand, oozing out charm. She looked flattered but she still refused. Laurie walked back to Trixie who was laughing hard at him, along with a few other people who had overheard their conversation

“Laurie!” Aunt March called him back.

“Yes?” He turned around

“Send Trixie to me, will you” He nodded turning to go to Trixie.

“The old Lady wants you”

“O, vrek, what did I do now? Quick do I look presentable? Are there any stray hairs I need to worry about?” She panicked, Laurie gave her a once over before replying

“You look beautiful” before Laurie pushed her towards Aunt March. They talked for quite some time, so Laurie decided to dance with Beth. When he looked again she was gone and Aunt March was being escorted to her carriage.

--------------------------

Trixie was starting to think something was wrong with her emotions, she just never felt so at ease with anybody other than Laurie but did that mean she loved him? And ever since she had gotten sick, she had noticed him giving her these odd looks. He couldn’t be falling in love with her, could he?

“Would that be such a bad thing?” her sub-conscience argued with her.

She certainly held him in high regard, but did she love him? She didn’t know if she loved him, in romance novels they always talk about butterflies in the stomach and all those things. She loved her family but they didn’t give her butterflies. Did that mean that she only saw Laurie as a family or were there more than two kinds of love? And if so, which kind did she love him as? What if she couldn’t love him the way he wanted to be loved? And what if she was overthinking everything? Aunt March had told her, she wanted her and Amy to go with her to Europe. She just wished the day would end. Meg’s wedding had just shown her that, they weren’t children anymore. And the adult world was scary.