The first meeting

It all started with a conversation between the March sisters...

"I know just who I will be dancing with," said Meg the oldest, struggling to put on her shoe from one winter ago

"Who will you dance with Jo?" Asked Amy the youngest seated on the couch

"Oh please you know I never dance, people at balls are always so pompous and polite, it makes me want to tear my hair out!" Exclaimed Jo from where she was using the curling tongs to curl Meg's hair
"Though I daresay Trixie might" she added as an afterthought.

"If only" Trixie replied fiddling with her undergarments
"I always get so shy that I just want to sink into a hole in the wall and never come out "
She was interrupted by Amy who exclaimed
"My nose will simply not look refined!"

Beth was the sweetest soul you could ever hope to meet, quickly answered
"But I like your nose"  her quiet remark slipped away unnoticed because Jo has decided that she doesn't want to be pampered.

"Don't touch me, thanks! I already feel ridiculous, I don't want to look it too!"

"You know you could be pretty if you want Jo" Amy replied rather snootily

"Oh Amy there is no need to be rude, she has a very fair complexion and a very pretty face and that is the last I will hear of it is that clear?!"

"Yes mum" Amy grumbled though everyone knew that she was only pretending.

"I don't want to go but I wish I could hear the music"

Trixie smiled at how her Beth always just wanted simple pleasures instead of artificial things that will grow old and fade.

"You know I will keep all the notes in my head and when we come home Meg will sing them to you and Jo and I will dance to the tune"

"But won't you be too tired after the party?"

"Never mind that dearie, you don't have to worry about me."

"Aaaaaah what have you done?! Marmee I'm spoilt! I can't go! My hair!"

                ----------------

"Don't stare, don't put your hands behind your back,  don't say Christopher Columbus, don't whistle..."

Meg has just given Jo her instructions before turning to Trixie

"And you don't dance too much, you know you are still sick even if you don't feel like it, make sure to drink lots of water and don't tire yourself"
she was swiftly swept away by Sally Moffat.

               --------------
It has been an hour since the party has begun and Jo is bored. She leans against the doorway catching Meg's eye.  Meg shakes her head signaling that it is not yet time to go home. Jo gives a hiss of annoyance before breaking eye contact with Meg just to see there was a man looking at her probably to ask her to dance. So she decided to make herself scarce before he asked.
She quietly slipped behind a plant into a small room keeping a lookout for the young man. In fact, she was so concentrated that she almost sat on a young man who was also hiding from society.
She backed up to sit on the couch while still eyeing the curtains through which he entered Just as she was going to sit she quickly turned around and exclaimed startled

"Dear me sorry I didn't know anyone was in here"

Sitting on a couch was a young man with dark curls who quickly stood up when he saw her

"Not at all stay if you like"

he replied with a small stutter

"I won't disturb you?"