Chapter 31: Name, Cleared

Start from the beginning

I pressed a fist against my mouth, slowly processing what I just heard. 

"Hey, you okay there?" Hunter asked as he noticed my dismay.

"This is why I didn't want to have a job that's in the field of medicine. I don't like hearing about death and I most certainly don't like disappointing people. I..." I trailed off.

Hunter wrapped his arm around my shoulder and rubbed it soothingly. 

"I could literally die if I knew that someone died because of me." I said with an unintentional whimper. "Sorry. I'm a little bitch." I said with a laugh.

He then pulled me against him, his soft and comfy clothes, his scent and just being in his arms calmed me down, like, way down. I felt him lay his chin on my head as his finger drew circles on my shoulder.

When I pulled away, I had a sheepish smile on my face. "Why'd you have to hug me like that?" 

He just smiled. "I just don't want you to be too hard on yourself. You're worth it in your own way, remember that." 

He ruffled my hair playfully when suddenly, the two doctors smiled at us, their hands interlaced. 

"Ah. Young love, I hope you two last... forever." The doctor named Oliver said with a reminiscent smile like he was remembering his past.

"Oh! We're not, uh..." I trailed off when I felt Hunter's arms snake around my shoulder and his hands ruffling my hair once again.

"Thank you, Sirs. I wish the same with you two." He said with a confident smile.

The two took their leave when I removed Hunter's arm around my shoulder.

"What?!" I half whispered-half screamed at him with a playful glare.

He laughed, and pinched my right cheek. "I just want to see you all flustered. You're cute when you're blushing." 

I blushed furiously at that as I hid my face using my hands. He laughed again, the deep sound relaxing me.

A few minutes of conversation and teasing. A nurse approached us with an envelope. I thanked her before she walked away.

I opened the envelope to find four images. One of me just coming out of our grandmothers room and another exiting the hospital.

I jumped up and down with a huge grin. "I can finally clean my name, thank God!" I shook Hunter's arm, but I didn't notice that he was going through his wallet which resulted in a piece of paper falling out of it. 

"Oh gosh, I'm sorry." I said as I crouched down to pick up the photograph that fell.

I looked at the photo to see young Hunter, Victoria and Alex, all of their mouths stained with chocolate but regardless, they were still happily grinning.

"Oh my gosh. This is so cute!" I said as I continued staring at the photo. I started to notice something but then Hunter snatched the photo out of my hand. I shook off the feeling and smirked at him. 

"You happy?" He said as a playful smile formed on his lips.

"Very!" I said with a cheeky grin.

"Let's go before you see anything further."

...

 Mr. Martinez studied the image he was currently holding.

"I couldn't possibly have done it if I was in the hospital, visiting my grandmother." I stated.

Mr. Martinez looked up at me, a remorse look on his face. "I'm deeply sorry for accusing you of this undignified action. I will have a word with the staff so all of the blames pinned on you can be dropped."