I wait for him to fire a smooth retort back at me, but instead of a biting insult, my teasing words are met by laughter.

I turn in surprise to see the Prince laughing, not just chuckling like he usually does but actually laughing, his face split into a wide smile.

Oh, Valar.

That smile.

That damned smile sends my heart into a fluttering dance, all the emotion from before bubbling back up to the surface.

His laughter dies down and meeting my eyes, he gives me a wink.

"I'll give you that one," he says, that damning smile still lighting his face.

And as his clear eyes stare into my own, that smile sending my heart flipping, I almost find myself smiling back.

I jump to my feet as I feel heat begin to tingle my cheek, turning from him to pick up my sword, hoping he doesn't notice the pink flush now coloring my cheeks.

"Celebríel?" I hear him question from behind me, a surprising gentleness in his voice.

"Alright, break time's over," I command, my voice devoid of the lightness it carried moments before as I will my heart and face to calm, and then turn to face him. "Up on your feet."

I see mild confusion flicker behind his blue eyes but it quickly fades and he rises, grabbing his blade and stepping back into the training ring.

I follow, my long braid swinging behind me as I plant my feet in the dirt and angle my sword.

"Your lower-left flank needs the most work," I call out, motioning to his left side with a jut of my chin. "So we'll start there. I'll attack, you do your best to defend."

He nods, but I don't miss the lingering glance he gives me, confusion still lurking behind his eyes. I ignore it, leaping forward with my sword raised as I execute my attack on his left side. He catches my blade with his own, throwing me back and giving himself time to adjust before I'm upon him again, this time aiming for his leg. He dances out of my reach, twisting to meet my sword as it comes down again, positioned for the neck.

I give him an impressed raise of my brows as he pushes me back again, a daunting grin on his face.

I move to attack again but he attacks before I can raise my sword, swiftly shifting my position from offence to defense and catching me off-guard. I parry his blade, dancing out of his reach, a smile beginning to grow on my face as he strikes blow after blow, keeping me on my toes. I cross my blade over my face, his own ringing against it as they meet, and catch his eye, its pure blue iris glowing in the afternoon sunlight.

"That more like it!" I shout with a grin, my muscles straining to keep his sword a healthy distance away from my face. "Your offence has improved and I hate to say it but, I'm impressed."

He gives me a smirk. "I knew I'd win you over eventually."

Before I can respond, I feel my sword slip and the next thing I know, its flying out of my grasp and clattering onto the dusty floor. Shock flashes in my mind for a second before a stout kick to the backs of my knees sends me tumbling to the ground.

I hit the dirt on my back, reeling in my grunt of pain as I blink confusion from my eyes and glance up at the Prince now standing above me, his sword at my throat.