Chapter 16

It was later at night that everyone reached home. Gauri had dozed off in the car on the way home and Darshan had stared at her all the way home lost in his thoughts. When the driver told them that they had arrived, he shook Gauri slightly and called her name. But it seemed that she was in a deep sleep.
“Gauri. Gauri….GAURI!” He almost shouted. Gauri woke up with a start.
“What? Who.. what happened?” She asked disoriented.
“We have reached home.” He told her and Gauri sat up straight. She looked outside. Everyone was getting out of the cars around them. She made to open the door when Darshan held her hand. Gauri froze. She turned to look at him when he released her hand quickly.
“Wait. I am supposed to open you door. Like a gentleman.” Darshan told her and Gauri stared at him as he got out of the car. Going round the car, he opened her door and was about to offer her his hand when Rajal maa slapped away his hand.
“Did you forget what I told you Darshan? You have to pick up your bride in your arms and carry her to our house.” She quipped and Darshan glared at her.
“But mom, our home is on 15th floor. How am I supposed to carry her all the way?”
“Lift.” Rajal maa answered. “You both wait here while we all go up. We will prepare for her grihpravesh while you two come up.”
With that Rajal maa strode towards the lift and Darshan swore under his breath. Gauri came to stand beside him quietly.
“Don’t let anyone hear you swearing.” She told him and Darshan looked at her in amazement.
“How the fuck did you know I was swearing?” He asked her and she gave him a smile.
“I am a doctor.” Was all she said. This time Darshan swore silently in his mind, not wanting Gauri to hear. Few moments later, the lift arrived in front of them and as no one was around, Darshan did not carry Gauri in his arms. They stood in the lift in silence, not knowing what to say. What do the newlyweds talk about anyway? Gauri mused and smiled automatically. Here Darshan was once again lost in her blue eyes and the way her eyes twinkled when she smiled.
A couple of minutes later when the lift came to a stop, Gauri was about to walk out when Darshan seized her from behind and lifted her off the ground. Gauri let a scream and Darshan shushed her.
“Shh, listen. I was supposed to carry you from the car to our doorstep. If mom sees you walking out, she will kill me with her lecture. So shut up and be still.” Gauri stopped wriggling at that and glared at Darshan.
“You could have informed me before attacking me like that.” She said and Darshan merely grunted. He stepped out of the lift and was immediately relieved that he had decided to pick Gauri up. His whole family, along with a few photographers, was present at his door.
Everyone went “awww” and “ooohh” at the sight of Darshan carrying Gauri and Gauri ducked her head, blushing. He walked to his doorstep where a large kalash was kept and a large plate with red water was placed with a long white cloth in front of it. Rajal maa and a few ladies did the ritual and Gauri stepped inside, gentally kicking the Kalash and spreading rice all over the floor in a neat arc.
Everyone murmured appreciatively. After all the rituals were completed, they were finally allowed to go to Darshan’s room. Gauri was sent first and Disha teased her incessantly while she helped Gauri out of her clothes. Gauri tried to smile and had to actually blush due to Disha’s vulgar comments.
“Disha, this is enough. You can leave.” Darshan’s voice came from behind them and both girls turned around to see a disgruntled Darshan leaning on the doorframe.
“Alright bhaiya. I know you want to have some time alone with bhabhi. I will go now. Don’t break the bed.” Disha laughed and winked at her dear brother. It was a mark of how much Darshan loved Disha that he merely laughed at her jibe and gave her a playful shove as she passed him.
“Goodnight bhaiya, goodnight bhabhi. Have fun.” She called out as Darshan slammed the door shut. He then turned towards Gauri who was standing there awkwardly. It was that moment both of them realized that they hadn’t thought about sleeping arrangements. It was a fact that they both were not going to share a bed, but there was only one bed in the room and neither could go out to sleep somewhere else. The house was filled with guests. Gauri shuffled awkwardly and glanced at her two enormous bags.
“Er…Darshan. I er… wanted some place to keep my things. Is there a spare wardrobe or anything?”
Darshan was surprised at that. He had not even thought about this. He had always assumed that they will stay in separate rooms and so he wouldn’t have to bother about these things. He glanced around his room trying to think of a place where Gauri could keep her belongings. There was his wardrobe, but it was already overflowing with his shoes and watch collection and his never ending pile of clothes. Then there was Ayesha’s cupboard, which was half full. She had taken half of her belongings with her when she had…. Darshan quickly dismissed the thought. He did not want to think about it at the moment. There were two major problems in front of him. They hadn’t planned as adequately as they should have. Finally having no option, he did the thing which he had never done for past two years. He opened Ayesha’s cupboard and tossed Gauri the keys.
“Don’t move the things out, keep them in a corner of the cupboard. You can use it for a few days. But let me warn you one thing. Never touch Ayesha’s things. Don’t even think about it.” He said without looking at either the cupboard or Gauri. Then he strode off to the washroom and banged the door shut.
Gauri, who was confused at his remark, took a look inside the cupboard. There weren’t many things in it, just a few clothes and a lot of accessories like anklets, bangles, necklaces, earrings and bracelets. Gauri piled up the clothes in the top shelf, where her hand barely reached and put all the accessories in a drawer. She then removed the clothes she would probably need for the next few days from her suitcases, which was mostly sarees and more traditional clothing.
After arranging everything to her liking, she turned around and almost screamed. Darshan had silently gotten out of the washroom and had been sitting on a couch staring at her. Gauri who had been engrossed in her work hadn’t noticed him.
“It’s you. You scared me mister.” She gasped and Darshan chuckled at that.

“Alright Mrs., I am too tired, I will take the couch and you can sleep on the bed for few nights.” He told her and Gauri shook her head.
“No it’s fine. I am already intruding in your space. You can have the bed, I will manage on the couch.” She said and started walking towards the couch, but Darshan stopped her.
“Listen, main daaru peeke kahi bhi so sakta hu. You take the bed, you will be more comfortable there.”
“But you are so tall, how are you going to fit on the couch. I am shorter and thinner. I will be comfortable on couch and you will be comfortable on bed. Darshan please go and sleep.”
“Gauri, I am saying this for the last time. And anyways I am settled here.  I won’t move. Go quietly and sleep on the bed. You had to stand in those heels for the whole day today. I noticed how uncomfortable and painful it was. You need rest. Tomorrow there are few more rituals.” Darshan said and Gauri was about to open her mouth when he cut her, “No arguments Gauri. Sleep now.” Gauri shut her mouth.
Secretly she was pleased to have the nice, warm and comfortable bed. She climbed on the bed and immediately felt drowsy. The bed smelled faintly of a musky scent, Darshan’s cologne maybe, and deeply inhaling, she fell asleep. However, Darshan had a hard time sleeping that night. Not only was the couch uncomfortable to his tall and well-built frame, but he was unable to drink too as the last bottle he had hidden in his room was almost empty and he could not go out to sneak another bottle.
His entire extended family was staying at his home and they had fell asleep at any place they could find including the couch, armchairs and even his swing.
He tossed and turned the whole night and trying to make himself comfortable, he fell asleep sometime late in the night.