Cafe Jumper

I wandered down the little streets- which seemed to be getting smaller and smaller mind you- and slowly window shopped through each little corner store and cafe. Really seeing this side of town for once was amazing. I'd only ever been to it once before, but I remember it being at nighttime, with the place alive with music and dancing. I was entranced and shoot in awe with the whole scene. Right now however, there was no live music, and no deep conversations (that I were aware of), no dancing and nothing too interesting. Don't get me wrong, the place was indeed very nice. The air was a very cultural one, very good-food and good-humour based. There was always laughing, always the clinking of plates and cutlery and always chit chat in the background. As busy as it sounds, this place was relaxing, and homey. It just lacked what I wanted to feel.

I decided to choose another cafe, Black Slice. It looked sleek and modern and obviously came to life at night, and it had good music coming through the speakers, so I decided to relax outside in the shade and idly watch the world go by, hopefully killing the time. I briefly wondered how I was going to spend my days as a tramp. Right now I could walk into shops and go wherever I wished. I still had nice clothes, and looked decent, but what about when I didn't? The thought quickly died and I slipped back into a silent, almost meditative state, letting the music and chatter engulf me into my own little trance. 

I would let my eyes wander over the people, but never took much stock in them. They were all the same. It wasn't long before I heard the superficial screech again. I looked towards the sound and sure enough there they all were, walking up the street. It was like a hierarchical wolf pack, alpha female at the front, with her beta dogs in toe, and her omega dog trailing behind. The omega was the quiet girl, I noticed. She was walking with one other young girl who wasnt with them before, but even then she was at the back. I watched the wolves slink past, most of them throwing their heads back with hyena laughter, but as the puppy passed, with awkward feet and a shy disposition, she waved. It was only a small, hesitant flick of the wrist, but she waved. I smiled back and she looked down, and continued walking. She waved...

  I closed my eyes and listened to the jazz flow out of the stereo speakers above my table. Thoughts of the interesting girl flooded my head. Questions... Who was she? What was her name? I pushed them out of my brain and returned to the music. I set out to be alone, not to be sucked in. The jazz swallowed me eventually, once more and I went back into a daze, closing my eyes and imagining what the music would look like. It felt like only minutes had passed when I opened my eyes again but the clock said hours. I looked over to the front of the cafe and was getting some annoyed looks from the staff so I decided to move on. I walked back down the street I came, and turned the corner towards the ally I had slept in last night. Another night of pain... I'd have to find somewhere more comfortable...

As I walked, the sun was only just beginning to lower, and it was probably only four in the afternoon, but I was bored. I wandered around the place for a while looking at the buildings and by the time I settled back in my ally, the sun had started to set. I set down my sleeping bag again, but this time I tried sleeping in different positions. It didn't work. Instead I sat and closed my eyes, thinking about whatever decided to drift through my mind and eventually I became drowsy. It was still early, certainly, but again... I was bored.  And when bored, what else to do but sleep, for my muscles were aching still. How foolish to think sleeping would solve that... 

~~~