Chapter Forty Seven: Begin Again

"You remember Brian?"

"The sous chef? Of course I remember Brian."

Walking down the corridor of the castle, Mark and Valek were making sure Nicholas would be okay on his first day back in the kitchen. Stifling a laugh at the look of disbelief on his at Valek's question Mark motioned for them to stop at the kitchen doors.

"We're just checking, mate."

"Well, I still remember how to cook, and the names and duties of my staff." The chef-turned-lord remarked, dressed in a dark short-sleeved, collared shirt.

"I believe you. Considering it was you who made that fish in Endymion more palatable. Otherwise, I probably would have passed, and Alex wouldn't have touched it." The guard admitted.

Thanks..." Nicholas nodded. "So do they know what happened, and why I was away?"

"No. All anyone was told was that you had gone with Mark to research what new technologies or concepts should be introduced to Canterbury & Rosslyn." The blonde haired guard answered.

"Okay."

"But..." Mark watched as Nicholas froze upon hearing the words. "We told Brian to help you out if need be, and not to overload you. We said you were probably exhausted from all that traveling."

"Fair enough, I suppose." The lord said shortly, after thinking it over. He looked up and grinned. "I guess I need to remember we're not going to be jumping from place to place."

Laughing, Mark patted his best friend's shoulder before pushing him towards the door.

"Go on then, enjoy your first day back."

"Make sure you don't burn anything." Valek called, as Nicholas shot them a look of disdain.

"Think he'll be okay?" His cousin asked, as the chef disappeared through the doors.

Hearing a loud clatter of pots and pans crashing to the floor, Mark shrugged.

"He should be fine." Mark answered, not bothering to move and check up on what had happened.

Instead they heard voices. 'Lord Nicholas, you're back!' 'Now the Queen won't come to cook for herself' Someone cheered. Starting to walk away from the kitchen, Mark shook his head, smiling.

"I love how they think Nicholas has the power stop Alex from cooking." Valek snickered.

"Little do they know about the power she has over Nick."

Laughing as they headed in the direction of the Oak Room for a meeting with their elite guard, Mark noticed Valek mull over something.

"They're doing okay, those two?"

"They seem to be. It's been good for both of them. He's starting to get back to his old self, and she's more than happy to have him back." He nodded. "They've already spoken about taking things slowly."

"Good...I'm glad."

Entering the Oak Room, they found their men assembled around the table. Having discussed with Valek, they had decided to keep Samuel on the guard for now. He was good at getting information and surveillance, which they currently needed.

"Alright men. What do we have on Crawley?" Mark asked, sitting down at the head of table with Valek beside him.

"Nothing, sir." Aram spoke up. "We've looked every where, and still there is nothing else linking him to David Grimaldi, other than the guard."