Chapter Thirty Five: Who Are You?

"Who are you?"

The question rang in the air. Looking to see if she was okay, Mark was surprised that she had not even flinched at his question. Surely she should have cried, Mark thought. He had gotten up from where he was sitting to stand by the bed. The Lord looked at her, confused that the girl was sitting beside him. Outside, he saw lightning and heard the sound of heavy rain.

Getting up from the bed, Alexandra stood, drawing to her full height. Mark was amazed at her composure. Had it been her, asking him the same question, he was sure that he would have looked hurt...he knew he would have felt like a knife had cut through his heart.

"I am Queen Alexandra Astale of Seraphine." She told Nicholas.

"What is a Queen doing by my bedside?" The Lord asked, sounding more confused.

"Lord Nicholas James Devereux, I am here because you got injured during an attack on the castle. One of the former lords of my country decided to cast a spell on me. You jumped in at the last moment, and took the full blow." She explained to him. Mark could hear the distance in her voice, she was not acting at all as if they were friends. Giving him his name, and where he was from; Alexandra seemed to be keeping close to the facts.

"What happened to me?" The Lord asked, after a moment.

"You've lost all your memories. We were told by the Oracle to find them, or risk losing your life."

"Why are you helping me, if I'm just a Lord? I don't even know you. Shouldn't you be running the country?" Nicholas asked, the obvious question.

Watching her, Mark saw a thoughtful look cross her face. It was like she had not been expecting him to ask her such a thing.

"I owe you my life. I promised your sister, Sophia, that I would help you...and I'm trying my best to repay that debt. My country is fine for now, it's in good hands." Alexandra told him. "If you have any other questions, just ask Mark. I need to step out for a minute, I forgot something in the other room."

Trying to catch her eye, Mark would have stopped her, but she moved quickly to get out of his reach. He watched in awe as she walked out of the door and into the rain.

"Have we met?" Nicholas asked him. "You and I? You look familiar."

Turning to look at the Lord, who was now sitting up, Mark sat down on a corner of his bed.

"We have, mate. You're one of my best friends. We've known each other since we were kids. You, me, and my cousin Valek. He's back at the castle, taking care of things." He told the young man.

"How am I a Lord?" Nicholas asked, as though the sheer thought of it was absurd.

"Well...it's a long story. Basically, your ancestors held the rank, but it was taken away from them when they betrayed the crown. Alexandra, the Queen, gave you back the title." He said, trying to explain it in the shortest manner possible and make it easy to grasp.

"Was I always a Lord?"

"No...you were the Head Chef of the castle...and have also served as the Royal Advisor. A position your parents once held." Mark explained. "Lately, you've been doing all three jobs."

"Are you also a Lord?"

"Nope...Valek and I are the Heads of Alex's security."

"The Queen said I had a sister. Where is she?" Nicholas asked, looking around, as though Sophia would appear from behind the adjoining bathroom door.