xlvi. start of it all

Start from the beginning

Vera had vowed to protect her people and her friends that night. Just like they would lay their lives for her, she would do the same. Just like they would follow her lead blindly, she would follow them too. Just like they would willingly do anything for her in their devotion, she would be just as dedicated. Because along with Vera's mindset, her loving heart and her compassionate feä grew too. It amplified and roared stronger like a lion on fire, illuminating and shaking Vera's insides with realization. She loved her people and she certainly loved her friends; she would do anything for them, even if it meant killing and dying for them.

It was rather funny how these thoughts could stem from Vera's admiration of Shadowfax. She supposes that the white stallion could do such things to the simple minds; it was not considered a Mearas for nothing.

The members of their broken Fellowship had emerged from the trees of Fangorn Forest and landed on the other side of the forest, sunlight and wispy breezes glowing upon them with glee and light. Vera still clutches onto her cloak, blushing slightly after realizing she is practically in her undergarments and nothing more, and desperately hopes to get clothes from someone in Edoras in order to gather her dignity once again; being in her undergarments was entirely embarrassing, even if she is being shielded by Legolas and her cloak. Their steeds implant themselves next to the group, awaiting the next orders.

Gandalf whistles sharply, which consequently reverberates through the open plains of Rohan piercingly. Gandalf repeats the action once more as if calling someone in the distance and eliciting raised eyebrows from his companions. Once the echoes of the maia's whistles ceased distantly, Vera opens her mouth to question the wizard but stops as a whinny rings through the plains and alerts the Fellowship of another presence in their midst.

Curiously, Vera places a hand over her brows to shield her eyes from the blazing sun and attempts to decipher the animal answering to Gandalf's call in the form of rushing to his master's aid. Then, her jaw drops slightly as she steps forward to near the creature approaching them, abandoning her own horse's side and eliciting a jealous sniff from the white mammal. Vera does not pay much attention, too entranced by the white horse approaching them, which only earns herself another rumble and a smirk from her friends.

"That is one of the Mearas...unless my eyes are cheated by some spell," Legolas' soft voice brings Vera back to the present but does not halt her endeavors towards the whinnying stallion. It was safe to say that Vera was completely and utterly enchanted by the magnificent horse, capturing her heart in a matter of seconds and appealing to her love for horses. She remains unresponsive to Arod's whinnies but is quickly brought back to reality at the longing for her own majestic white horse that she left behind in Imladris, reminding her of the stallion behind her and stepping back to comfort the jealous animal.

"Shadowfax," Gandalf names, informing his confidants of the horse's name, "He is the lord of all horses...and has been my friend through many dangers." Gandalf admiringly caresses the horse's man with much care and affection.

Vera jokingly says, "show-off." But Vera, herself, could see just how beautiful and adored the horse was and longingly yearns to caress it herself but refrains and places a soft hand on Arod's chin, scrubbing it affectionately and making noises to entertain the horse and give it attention after her unceremonious reaction to Shadowfax. Despite her instant love for the white Mearas, Vera still adored Arod and her yet-to-be-named horse.

Legolas leans down, whispering to her ear teasingly as he prepares their belongings, "I see that Arod was not as overly fond over your affections for Shadowfax."

Vera meets his eyes. "Do you talk of Arod or yourself, my Lord?" she questions back playfully, winking at the scowling elf before her.

"Vera!" Gandalf suddenly calls, bringing their attention back to the wizard and his horse. The maia was rummaging through the satchel in Shadowfax's mouth, briskly attempting to grab something from it before throwing it to the side once he got what he needed. He quickly throws the material at Vera, surprising her but successfully catching it before it could hit the ground. "Wear that, you will need it if you want to appear...courteous in front of the King."