A slight blush creeps on my cheeks, and I drop my gaze just in time as I see him look my way.

"So what's your secret?" he asks.

"Sorry?" I tilt my head, not following.

"Ethan. He's had a rough time since his parents died. Everyone has tried to help him, but he won't stay anywhere. He barely sleeps and doesn't talk. I don't know what else to do to help him anymore." He runs his hand through his short black hair.

The despair and frustration lacing his tone tugs at me. "I don't know, honestly? Food I guess."

Chris tilts his head, pausing mid-sip. This is not the answer he's expecting. He raises his brow, needing more.

"When I first saw him at the market, he wanted cookies, but I don't think he had money, so I bought him a couple. He finally took 'em, no thanks or nothing, just ran off. He came back later, and I gave him cherry tomatoes, mini cukes, and apples."

Chris shifts in his seat, resting his elbow on the armrest. His attention is squarely on me like I'm about to tell him the secret to world peace instead of getting a kid to relax...

"I saw him each weekend at the market and gave him snacks. He started sitting with us, never says anything, just listens and eats. To be honest, I didn't think he could talk, he'd nod and shake his head occasionally, but that's it. I saw him at the rez a couple of times and waved, but that's all."

Chris sets his drink down and leans back in his seat, keeping his intense hazel gaze trained on me.

I shrug, feeling the weight of his gaze. "I was surprised when he showed up here this afternoon and shocked when he talked to me."

Now that catches his attention. "And what did he say?"

"Not much, he noticed I wasn't delivering anymore and I missed the last market." He frowns at this, but I can't read why. "He looked exhausted. I told him to lay down after he ate but he said he didn't want to because of bad dreams." I hesitate.

"I told him I've been having bad dreams and sleeping poorly too, so I gave him my necklace to help change his dreams. And he's been sleeping ever since. Like four hours now?"

He's quiet for a while, reflecting on what I said.

I slip away to grab the steaks from the house and a fresh beer, as his is almost empty, and make my way back to the outside. Chris doesn't seem to notice as I set the cold beer next to him on my way to the grill, once again looking a million miles away. I'm only too happy to turn my focus from him to the steaks as they sizzle over the flames.

"Thank you." I hear over my shoulder and turn to see him looking at me for the first time with a softer expression. I tuck a renegade curl behind my ear and give a small nod before turning back to the BBQ.

I hear him open the new beer and walk over to me as he passes me my drink, which I take a big gulp of. His proximity is distracting as I feel my heart start to race again.

Chris leans against the deck railing and pins me in place with his gaze. "So what's haunting your dreams then?"

I take another sip before answering, "I don't even remember most of it. I jolt awake and feel more tired than when I fell asleep." I refuse to mention his role in it.

He nods as if this is common knowledge. "Dreams can be a way to allow us to tackle things that overwhelm us in the waking world. Sometimes they try to tell us things."

I scoff.

What is my dream trying to tell me then? Something about him?

"What are you remembering?" He asks.