The Prettiest Star

Start from the beginning

At that, we could finally leave the house, and begin our tour of modern London. Though I walked over the front door threshold like normal, I could see David was taking a tentative breath. He put one of his leather-toed shoes on the pavement, then another. He looked up at me with a cute smile, like a toddler who had completed some grand new activity.

After his small achievement, we started away from the house, just him and me, and the rest of the city.

It was rather funny actually: when we walked away from the house, it felt as if I was leaving my normal world behind. My whole life had been turned upside-down ever since I landed in a park in 1969, but it never felt like it was actually me.

But with David's hand in mine, I could tell things would never be the same. For better, or worse.

***

We had no itinerary, but more of a wherever-the-day-takes-us approach.

First, we went to the street food markets, and David had his first churro (which got all over his mouth). Then it was to the museum, the library, the modern arts exhibition (which was a lot more modern than what he was used to), and McDonalds for lunch (he also hadn't had McDonalds, and I can attest that he wasn't a terrible fan, either).

Throughout the walk, our bodies inched closer and closer together, until by mid-afternoon he had his hand wrapped softly around my waist, and we were walking next to each other with no room between us.

All my tension: the stress, the tears, it felt like it was left behind. And as every second went by, it felt as if David was warming up, beginning to feel happier, too.

***

Our final attraction of the day was the London Eye. The giant Ferris wheel had rather shocked David when he saw it in the skyline (as it was only built in 1998), and we were lucky enough to get a ticket at sunset.

Up, up, up we went. As we inched ever higher above the mixture of modern and ancient buildings, it was as if our spirits lifted too. We were sat next to each other, alone, in the see-through box, just gazing out into the city around us.

I myself had never been on the Eye before, as I was never a tourist, but what a sight to see! At sunset, beautiful reds and oranges splashed about the sky, making it look like a painting where the hazy silhouettes of buildings would cascade in and out of.

In fact, I was so engrossed in the view that it was a while before I noticed David was looking at me. His mismatched eyes were kind, and it was as if he didn't care for what was outside. Merely, he just gazed at me. He was humming something to himself, and with a light flick of his finger began to stroke my hair every so softly.

As we steadily rose higher, his humming began to form a tune, "one day, though it might as well be someday..."

It sounded as if he was creating the words impromptu, and he pointed upwards with a wink as the carriage continued to glide up, "You and I will rise up all the way..."

Then, he looked into my eyes, and tilted my chin up with his index finger, "all because of what you are..."

He leaned in closer, and I could feel his breath as he sang the final lyrics, "...the Prettiest Star."

He continued with, "Thank you Florence, my Star. You always seem to come when I need you most, and I thank you for that." At which he leaned ever closer, our lips entwining in a kiss.

It was everything like in 1970 and more: an ecstasy of colours and happiness. It was soft and tender, and all I could think about was that the man I was kissing was David Bowie. And to him, I was his Star.

We were interrupted when got to the top of the wheel, and the carriage stopped with a clink. David was a little frightened, and pulled away for a moment.

And it was then, in the 0.5 seconds that followed, that something struck me about what he had uttered earlier.

"You always seem to come when I need you most," He had said.

And wasn't that right?

Trying to phrase my thoughts coherently, and explain what I may have just found out, I said to David, "Earlier I was thinking about one interconnecting thing between all this time travel. I think I might have found it. Besides you and I always finding each other, it had always been at a time when we have been struggling, right?

He sat back in his seat, and rested his hand in mine, as if by now he was accustomed to having his traditional theories about the universe shattered.

I continued, "Think about it: when you were depressed before your festival, sad at New Year's Eve, worried about your wedding, I appeared... and last night, when I was having an existential crisis... You came to me. Because I was in need."

It all suddenly made sense.

And surprisingly, David agreed. He was confused, certainly, but it was as if for once something in our lives was clear.

He responded, "Well then, I guess you're my cosmic girlfriend, Star." And he wrapped his arms around my chest and we kissed again, all the way until our carousel had landed back on the ground.

Somehow, this kiss was even better, because I knew inside that whenever I needed him, or whenever he needed me, I would see David again.

In fact, it almost felt as if David was slipping away during this, his figure becoming slightly translucent. Was this what it looked like when I time travelled? Fading into the air?

However, I didn't get to find out, as when the Ferris wheel doors opened, there stood Melanie.

Her eyes were wide, and she let out a very loud curse in surprise.