Part-13

"Naina!!" Preeti called her sister a little aloud. Naina stirred a bit hearing her name, then opened her eyes slowly. She found Preeti staring at her frowning. She wanted to understand the reason. Awakening fully she discovered herself leaning on the frame of the balcony door. That meant she slept here entire night!! No, not night, there was a hint of light outside before she drifted off to sleep. She quickly stood up to met her sister's quizzing gaze.

"Tu puri raat yahin soyi thi kya? Preeti queried with widened eyes.

"Aree nahi.. Woh aaj subha bohot jaldi uth gayi thi na toh thodi der yahi pe beith gayi. Phir kab aakh lag gayi paata hi nahi chala." She hid the previous night incident intentionally.

It was not clear through Preeti's expression whether she believed her sister's words or not. She just shook her head and instructed Naina to get ready.

That morning Naina decked up in her pink tops which Sameer liked most and took some extra time in preparing herself. On seeing Naina's enthusiasm in getting ready Preeti teasingly said to her that it seemed there might be something special today. Naina passed a shy smile and her heart throbbed anticipating something beautiful to happen.

*****

Sameer went down on one knee in front of Naina with a bunch of red roses. Naina's eyes widened seeing him kneeling down on the dusty sidewalk. Sameer couldn't tell what was happening around as his mind was focused on the smiling girl in front of his eyes. "I love you Naina" he declared confidently, offering the flowers to her. She had a beatific smile on her face as she extended her hand to accept his offering. But then, suddenly she turned back and started stepping backwards and their surroundings filled with mystical fog. With frightened eyes, Sameer saw her disappearing slowly in that hazy sheet. "Naina!!" he screamed and jerked awake, then discovered himself on his bed. He sighed a relieved breathe realising that it was a dream. What was that dream? The courage he gathered last night was turned into nervousness by that dream. What if she refused him?

He shook his head to shake off the negative thought and grabbed the alarm clock from the bedside desk. As he brought the clock before his eyes a worried sound escaped from his mouth, "Oh no!!". It was ten in the morning. Her lecture would finish at eleven o'clock and here he just woke up. When he would get ready and when he would reach at her college. Glancing at the clock he cursed himself for being forgetful of setting the alarm. The incident of last night had such an impact that he totally forgot that Kaanji wouldn't come this morning and he had to set an alarm. After spending almost the whole night sleeplessly, he couldn't remember exactly when his tired body gave up and he drifted off to sleep.

After having a quick shower he quickly wore his black shirt, the one in which he got a complement from Naina. He completed his breakfast as soon as possible, then rushed to the bus stop and fortunately got the bus as soon as he reached there. On his way, he checked his wristwatch for the umpteenth time. The hand of the clock was moving so fast as if it was participating for a race, a race with him where his defeat was certain. The worried lines of his forehead had been increased whenever the bus stopped for any traffic signal. Meanwhile, his mind was occupied planning about how to propose her.

Finally, he reached his destination. He smiled glancing at his wristwatch as it was not that much late. From a nearby flower shop, he bought a rose, a half-bloomed one with two leaves just as Naina liked. He avoided flower bouquet considering her risk in hiding it from her family members. He didn't forget to buy a chocolate bar as well. He really didn't know the necessity of these things to propose anyone, yet he bought them with the hope if he failed to utter anything like before these little things might help her to understand his untold words. With a lot of ideas in his head he stepped ahead towards her college.