Part - 20

The rain stopped as suddenly as it started. Despite the fact that the short-lived first rain of the monsoon had had little impact on the bustling life of city inhabitants, the raindrops had soaked two souls resting in the shade of the small tea stand, not with a visible shower but with the shower of feelings.

The rain had hardly any significance in Sameer's life. Rain on holidays meant hot pakoras made by his mother, and rain on workdays was nothing but an inconvenience. But suddenly he was enamoured with every drop of the water, the moist smell of the earth; the beauty of the rain had never appeared before him this way. Sameer's memory album received another lovely addition, again with Naina.

For Naina, she always used to think that soaking in the rain with beloved one was romantic. But today her idea changed; she learnt that rain could be equally romantic without getting wet. "In fact, every moment can be romantic when one is with one's dear one," she thought gazing at the person sitting next to her. Sameer turned his face just then. As their gazes collided, their eyes began to communicate with one other in their own language. But, the lovely moment was cut short by the entrance of more customers.

Later, Sameer and Naina were seen heading down the drizzly street to the coffee shop, chatting about irrelevant topics. Sameer was taking his time to mentally prepare for his next approach, while Naina was purposefully assisting him by carrying on those minor conversations. They made slow steps ahead, hoping to extend their time together since they knew they'd have to wait a long time for another opportunity. As they proceeded, the space between them was inadvertently narrowing, and the backs of their palms brushed against each other, causing both of them to jolt and stare at each other, yet neither of them moved to pull their hands away. Sameer's fingers curled upward in an attempt to grasp her hand. But before his hand could cover hers, Naina was summoned by a familiar female voice. They promptly parted to avoid any awkward situation as soon as the voice reached their ears. They spotted Preeti approaching them from the opposite direction.

"Tu kyun aa gayi... Hum to abhi jaa rahe the.." After Preeti got close to her, Naina said.

"Aab aa gayi hun na toh ghar chaal.." She took a few steps forward, commanding Naina, but when she saw Naina still standing there, she queried in a flat tone, "Nahi jaana kya?"

"Haan chal.." Perceiving Preeti's bad mood Naina guessed the reason and thought to comply without any objection. After a reluctant, silent goodbye to Sameer, She quietly followed her sister.

Looking at Naina's preceding form, Sameer mentally prepared himself for a two-week-long hiatus.

****

After exiting from the cafe Preeti had no interest to stay there anymore so, she decided to head towards the bus stand with the intention of going home alone. On her way when she saw Naina, she called her out loud and made her accompany her, fully oblivious to the fact that she had disrupted the couple's moment. Now sitting on the bus realization dawned upon her, and she uttered with a guilt-filled voice, "Sorry Naina.."

Naina, who was looking outside from the window now turned her face to her, "Sorry kyun?"

"Shayad maine tum dono ko disturb kar diya..." Preeti gave a remorseful expression.

"Shayad nahi, pakka disturb kar diya tune..." Naina twisted her lips faking annoyance.

Making a pitiful face Preeti said afterwards, "Phir se sorry, tu gussa mat ho. Main na jija ji se bhi sorry bol dungi pakka.."

"Bol dena.. Aagle mahine exam khatam hone ke baaad jab hum phirse milenge na tab aramse bol dena.." Naina gave a sarcastic smile.

Preeti slapped her forehead, "Oh ho.. Main toh bhool hi gayi thi ke tum dono ke pyaar mein exam naam ki break lagne wale hai.." She took a brief pause then continued, "Sab na teri galti hai.. Nahi tu mujhe uss ladke se milati aur nahi yeh sab hota.."