1 -new flesh

ONE YEAR LATER.

"I'm gonna stay right here, I'm gonna stay right here, I'm gonna stay right here until I die."
-current joys

TW; sexual assault

I shielded my eyes from the bright sunlight as I stepped outside of the movie house.

"Jesus Christ," said my best friend, Ponyboy Curtis, as he rapidly blinked.

I grinned. "The worst part about seeing a movie is that it's dark inside and feels like your eyes are burning off when you leave."

Ponyboy and I went to see movies often. Usually at the movie house, but sometimes at the drive-in theater on weekends. We're the only two in our gang who digs that sort of stuff.

Our 'gang' is basically our friend group. We're greasers, and the greasers all have gangs, so we've got ours. Although we definitely aren't as violent as the true gangs like the Shepard's and the Brumly's.

"Whatcha think of that one?" Ponyboy asked, referring to the movie.

"It was alright," I replied.

I have known Ponyboy for my entire life. Our parents were best friends and they grew up together. Then they all had kids and we grew up together.

So, I've known Ponyboy and his brothers, Darry and Sodapop, since the day I was born. I'm the youngest of all of them at 14. My birthday was only a few weeks ago. Ponyboy is the closest to my age, he is 14 as well and only a few days older. Then there's Sodapop, he's 16. Then Darry, who's 20.

I had always been close with the Curtis brothers, so that meant I was also close with the gang because they're all friends with the Curtis'. My mom always tells me I should get some girl friends. But none of the girls who go to my school really like me.

My Dad used to agree with my mom... until the day he passed in the car wreck that killed him and Mr. and Mrs. Curtis. My mom was the only survivor of the wreck.

The deaths were hard on all of us. I'm glad my mom made it out. I couldn't imagine losing both of my parents all at once. But I feel guilty, like my parents should've died and the Curtis' should've lived. My mom feels the same.

"Looks like that car's following us," Ponyboy's whisper snapped me out of my thoughts.

I turned around and saw the same blue mustang that was behind us for a couple blocks. It was a tuff car, usually I don't notice that type of stuff but I couldn't help but see the beauty of that obviously expensive car. It belonged to some Socs, no doubt. Greasers can't afford that sort of stuff.

The West Side Socs are the rich kids of Tulsa. They drive fancy cars and wear expensive madras shirts.

The East Side Greasers are poor, wear leather and denim jackets, always get into trouble, and style their hair with grease.

"Follow me" Ponyboy whispered. He suddenly took a random, sharp turn into an alleyway and we thought it might confuse the driver of the mustang. But nope. They still were right behind us when they suddenly began to drive closer. They almost ran us over.

The car backed us into a corner of the alley and five Socs hopped out.

I recognized them from school. Bob Sheldon was the driver, he went to our school. He jumped Johnny, a member of our gang, really badly and it left him all mixed up and with a huge scar across his face. I don't like to think about that horrific day.

Coming out of the passenger side was Bob's best friend Randy. He had curly brown hair, a slight build, and a mean look on his face.

I recognized the three in the backseat but didn't know their names. One had dark brown, almost black hair, and the other two were blonde.