Pilot

Ext. Library Entrance  

Max sat outside on the stairs at the entrance of the library flipping through her Spanish notes. As she bit at her nails she flashed back to the Dean this morning trying to give a "inspirational" speech. Seeing that Greendale is probably the best at being the worst, his speech didn't work out so well. She felt personally attacked by the "it the school for smart poor kids". Although it was true, as she grew up in a poor middle of nowhere household, she didn't want to be called out.

"You're in my Spanish class." , A voice said.

Looking up and covering her eyes from the sun, she saw a guy standing in front of her. He was much taller than her, slim, and clearly from Arabic descent.

"You sit in the back bouncing your leg and chewing on your pencil. Sometimes you bite your nails hoping people won't notice. They don't but I do. I'm Abed by the way."

Max sat there for a second with her eyebrows furrowed and her mouth slightly open, almost as if she was trying to find the words to reply. It wasn't everyday you got called out on your nervous ticks.

"I'm Max? It's nice to meet you?", She asked, tilting her head.

"Max. That's typically a boy's name." He said.

She shot a sarcastic smile, "Yep, that's what they tell me. My parents must have not gotten the memo."

"Did your parents like horror movies?"

"I'm sorry?"

"In horror movies there is the final girl, she's usually the only one to live through the entire movie. She also typically has a male or unisex name. So, I'm wondering if your parents liked horror movies, particularly slasher films because that's where the trope originated."

Max started to bounce her leg. She wasn't quite sure how to respond and that made her anxious. She didn't want to be rude, but she really wanted out of this conversation.

"It's short for Maxine, I think my parents just liked the name."

He nodded, "Cool. Cool, cool, cool."

She looked down awkwardly as she nodded, "Yep."

"We're having a study group for Spanish led by Jeff, if you want to join."

"Isn't he that guy who is on his phone all day?" She asked.

Abed nodded, "Britta says he is board certified. So ,he should be able to help us pass."

Max looked down at her notes and then back up at Abed. Maybe this study group would be good for her. Chang wasn't exactly the best teacher she had ever had, and she would like to only have to take Spanish once.

Max smiled and started to pack up her stuff, "Yeah. Ok, I'll come with."

"Cool. Cool cool cool."

Int. Study Room F

As she walked into the study room, Max caught sight of Britta. The blonde woman on the right and Jeff, the blonde guy on the left.

"Abed in the house whooo!" Britta yells, pumping her arms up.

"Whoo!" Abed mimicked before he takes a seat in between Jeff and Britta.

Max takes the seat on the other side of the blonde.

"Who's this Abed?", Britta asked.

He pointed at her, "This is Max. I found her sitting outside, she's in our Spanish class."