30 : The Anchor Lakey

Start from the beginning

Oli!

OLIVER:

I'm serious. What is there here? Nothing but a shitty history full of death and disaster. Anchor Lake is cursed, in the least magical sense of the word – there doesn't need to be some witchy spell cast over the place for it to be a shit place to live.

I know you're happy here, but I think you owe it to yourself to think bigger. Okay, maybe university isn't the thing for you, but what about travelling? What about, I don't know, following your dreams?

SUKIE:

I don't know what my dreams are.

OLIVER:

Well ... what about this?

SUKIE:

What?

OLIVER:

What we're doing with this podcast. You love doing this, right? Digging, investigating, stringing together a story. What's to say you couldn't be the next biggest investigative journalist? Or true crime reporter? People love a bit of mystery. You could travel the world, going to other creepy little towns like this, figuring out their history.

SUKIE:

I haven't done any of the figuring out. All I do is try and understand Mary's figuring out. I'm just piggybacking off someone else's dedication.

OLIVER:

And you've given a whole new life to her book. I've literally never known anyone as dedicated as you, Sukie. Look at everything you've done.

[There's a long pause]

Anyway. Yeah. I heard today that I got into UCL so I'll be off to London in September to study history, but don't worry, I'll be back. It's not like I'm going forever.

[Oliver chuckles to himself]

You think I could leave you and not come back, Sukie? I'll be back for Christmas, and Easter, and ... when's your birthday again?

[There is the sound of a thump]

SUKIE:

If anyone's interested, my birthday is on the sixth of June, so I'll be twenty in six months.

OLIVER:

Ew, you're so old.

SUKIE:

You're only three months younger than me.

OLIVER:

I'm an entire school year younger.

SUKIE:

That means nothing. If I was born at the end of August and you were born at the start of September, you could be, like, a day younger than me and you'd still be an entire school year younger.

OLIVER:

Still. You're old.

SUKIE:

And you're a little baby.

Oh my god, what are we even talking about? Guys, I'm so sorry. I think we got a bit carried away. I wanted to talk about ... what did I want to talk about?

OLIVER:

Um ... I think you mentioned Mary when you came over.

SUKIE: