Practice

This chapter will be more in Tanjiro's perspective, but in third person.

Tanjiro woke up that morning noticing right away (Y/n)'s absence. He flipped his body over to see the others, but they were gone as well. His eyes furrowed in concern as he sat up tossing the covers around thinking maybe his friends were hurried beneath.

He looked over the room a few more times. His friends had a tendency to jump out and scare him in the mornings. Finally, he wandered his way out of the room. He didn't know exactly where he was going, this wasn't a familiar house after all. His nose led him into the kitchen.

Mrs. (L/n) was at the sink washing a few dishes. Nezuko was by her side.

"Ah. Nezuko! There you are." Tanjiro spoke out. He was happy to know she hadn't wandered to where he couldn't find her. Nezuko's head whipped around at the sound of her brother's voice in excitement. Luckily, Mrs. (L/n) had left the curtains down on the windows so Nezuko was safe from sunlight.

She was helping Mrs. (L/n) with the dishes after breakfast. His eyebrows furrowed once again. Had he really slept in that late?

Nezuko jumped on Tanjiro with arms open wide; she hadn't even bothered to dry her hands before approaching him. She squeezed him tightly before putting her thumb on her brother's head to smooth over the skin.

'You'll get wrinkles if you do that.' Her eyes read. Tanjiro nodded his head in understanding and smiled at the small girl.

"Good morning Tanjiro. You just missed breakfast. But I can make you something real quick if you like?" (Y/n)'s mother spoke."Your sister is absolutely adorable! I can tell she cares deeply for you all." Nezuko beamed at the compliment, jumping around with her arms up into the air.

"Ah thank you! But I think I will just wait until lunch. Nezuko is indeed quite the little lady!" Tanjiro laughed out, placing a hand on her head in hopes of keeping her still so she didn't trip and fall.

(Y/n)'s mother could practically see the sun radiating off of this boy. She was tempted to cover her eyes because of the brightness. "Are you sure? Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I wouldn't want you to miss out."

"Yes ma'am but, do you think you could tell me where the others are?" Tanjiro asked politely. He let go of his sister as she ran back to (Y/n)'s mother, rolling up her sleeves once more to help out with dishes.

"(Y/n) took them out back. They were interested to see what she trained with. Honestly I can't even go near that place. It's too dangerous." Mrs. (L/n) pointed Tanjiro in the right direction and he walked out of the door. He took notice of the small broken down garden and remembered that his friend had said something about it the day prior.

"Hoy, Juntaru! Spar with me!" Inosuke's familiar voice ran through the air. He spotted the two boys in some sort of dig out circle. I was old but it was huge. He could see small footprints all along the outside of the circle.

This is where they must've run. Wouldn't the rain wash something like this away? Tanjiro stepped over the small footprints, not wanting to ruin any good memories.

"Sure. Maybe in a little bit. After I get warmed up of course." Tanjiro said, rolling his shoulders back to try to loosen up his muscles. His eyes scanned the area in hopes to find a certain girl. "Where's (Y/n)?"

"She ran off about a half hour ago. Said she would be back before dinner. Not sure what she's up to." Zenitsu said, punching the human sized dummy. It was worn out to bits. Straw could be seen poking out of almost every corner.

Tanjiro pouted a bit and sighed at the lack of the girl's presence. But it couldn't be helped. "Alright then. Inosuke, you ready?"

🌸

"Boys! Lunch!" Mrs. (L/n) called from the house. The mention of food roared in Inosuke's ears and he perked from the 16th match with Tanjiro. They ran to the house with eagerness. Inosuke dug into the food right away without saying his thanks.

(Y/n)'s mother sat and watched the boys with a smile on her face. "You guys seem really close. Are you related?" Zenitsu's face contorted in disgust at the thought of being related to the pig. Tanjiro noticed his face quickly and kicked him under the table and laughed.

"No ma'am. We just travel with each other. We are all part of the same squad." Tanjiro said. He said his tans and started to eat. (Y/n)'s mother nodded her head in understanding.

"How did you meet (Y/n)?" She asked. This perked Tanjiro's interest. He had not heard the full story about (Y/n) from Zenitsu. All of the attention at the table turned on Zenitsu. His eyes grew wide and he looked at the floor sheepishly.

"Uhm. Well, my bird had told me about a new mission. She was located at the Kamisunai mountain. I didn't really know what the details were until I wandered up the mountain. I saw an old abandoned cabin and when I went inside, it was smoking. I thought the cabin was on fire, but when I looked over the furniture. (Y/n) was passed out on the stone floor. I freaked out a bit. I didn't know what she was doing there or how she even got there. She looked dead."

Tanjiro shivered at the word. He didn't like it at all. (Y/n)'s mother took notice of the boys behavior and smiled a bit.

"I felt for a pulse. It was there but really slow. Honestly she would've been fine. In temperatures like that, her life would've been preserved by the freezing temperatures."

"How did she live?" Inosuke asked. He stopped eating and listened to the story.

"I got her warmed up. I gave her a piggyback ride to the town close by. She woke up when I was halfway there. She said she was there for about three days."

"Three days? She must've been freezing." (Y/n)'s mother spoke.

"Are you worried?" Tanjiro asked. He was slightly confused at the mother for her expression. She didn't smell like someone who would worry.

"Of course I'm worried. But I accepted a long time ago that I don't have a choice in what my kids can and cannot do. (Y/n) and Diakoku chose to do this."

Nezuko came into the kitchen from the living room. She lied next to her brother and Zenitsu and played with Zenitsu's pant leg. He blushed at her sudden action but did nothing.

"Mom?" A new voice came into the house. All of the faces at the table lit up.

"(Y/n), welcome home. How did it go?"

"I'm really sore. I should practice more often" (Y/n) came into the house and smiled when she saw everyone gathered in the kitchen.

"What happened?" Tanjiro asked. His smile was quick to grow now that (Y/n) was back. The squad was now complete.

"Nothing much. I was dancing."
_________________________________
Original release date: June 3 2020
Days until special authors birthday chapter: 15