Mission

"(Y/n) (l/n)! Zenitsu Agatsuma! Head to the village down below! Children's kidnappings and adult disappearances! Go go go! (Y/n) (l/n)! Zenitsu Agatsuma! Head to the village down below! Children's kidnappings and adult disappearances! Go go go!!" It said twice. Why do they do that? Are they taught to speak that way or is it by choice?

"Yes yes, we get it! Another mission so soon? I'm not even done with this one!" He complains. By 'this one' he probably means retrieving me. My head continues to rest on his shoulder as we make it down the snowy mountain. Time goes by and I finally begin to hear the chatter that zenitsu was talking about an hour earlier. How was he able to hear that far out? Especially in this weather. He must be of a higher rank. Plus, how long has he been carrying me? His arms must be killing him.

Lights in the distance could be seen and the familiar aroma of food filled me with joy. "Over there." I say pointing over zenitsu's shoulder.

"Yes, I see it. Looks too lively for there to be any missing children or adults though." He said. Confusion envelops my face as I look closer at the faces as we enter the streets of the big village.

"What are you talking about? Can't you see the fury and grief in their eyes?" I point out. Zenitsu leans forward a bit to take a closer look at the wandering eyes of the people.

"No. Not really. They look happy to me." He blinks back. Is it just me then...? How can't he tell how much sadness is in their soul? Can't he feel the devastation in the air? The lights warm our faces the further we travel into the village. More and more people in the streets look at us weirdly but I can't judge them. Two teenagers with swords. Who would've let children play with knives?

"Damn demons! They took her!" A yell startles Zenitsu causing him to back up a bit from the source. "They took my Kagiruri! Damn them! Damn them!" I turn my head to see a man hitting his fist to the floor coming out of a bar. It was clear to see he had been drinking and was too overwhelmed to deal with his emotions. Tears could be spotted running down his cheeks while the surrounding people try to get in to stand up.

I jump off of Zenitsu's back with a little bit of struggle. the cold air makes its way to my legs, stomach, and chest as Zenitsu's warmth leaves me. Once I get to the man I bend down to his level. Zenitsu stands by to watch as I grab the man's hand.

"Excuse me, sir," I say, taking a look at the blood-covered hand. "Do you mind telling me about this Kagiruri? Is she your daughter?" I ask, smiling at him softly to try to get his soul at ease.

The man relaxes a bit and looks away. Ashamed at a young girl looking at him with such kindness in his drunken state."Yeah. She's my daughter. But who dares to steal the granddaughter of the village chief! She's done nothing wrong! My baby girl..." the man starts to sob. The alcohol begins to take its toll on the poor man as he throws a tantrum on the floor at my feet.

I take out a bandage from my bag and wrap it around the man's hand, as he rolls around. "Don't worry...we'll find her." But absolutely do not go out to her. That's why so many adults have gone missing. That's my guess anyway." I say to the man.

He looks up at me white desperation in his eyes. "Thank you..." he says before walking away. What an odd man.

"If it's adults that have gone missing then there's no way I could do that! Me? A teenager? Compared to adult strength? No! Nope! This is a horrible mission to be sent on! The worst!" Zenitsu complains even more hearing about the missing people.

"Stop complaining zenitsu!" I yell at him. He looks at me and his eyes widen a bit. This was his first time actually seeing me now that I think about it. "What?"

"Sorry....it's just your eyes are really pretty." He says, staring into them nonchalantly.

My face erupts in a soft red tint as I look to the ground In flusteredness."H-how can you say that with a straight face? Don't you know that sentence can give women the wrong idea? I don't even know you! You can't just say that... but thanks I guess..." I say still looking to the ground.

"Now then... should we look for this demon or evacuate and pretend we heard nothing? Like any decent person..." dismissing my comments, he begins to walk back to the exit of the village but I grab him by his collar and start to drag him around town looking for any sign of the demon while Zenitsu continues to mutter protests behind me.

"Excuse me. Do you have any unnatural things in your village I could see?" I would ask people. Most would shake their heads or make jokes. Others would bring up missing friends and children. I once asked a small child and all he did was look at me before running away. Kinda hurt my feelings a bit...

"Are you a tourist or a slayer my lady?" An old man asked. This caught Zenitsu's attention and he stopped crying to hear what this man had to say.

"A slayer sir. Why do you ask?" Zenitsu says. The old man motioned us to follow him but zenitsu's just shook his head. I ended up dragging him once more to the outskirts of the village where a small forest portion lie. We continued to walk for thirty minutes before we came across the biggest tree I have ever seen in my life.

"This tree is the pride of our village. It cannot burn, nor die. It's been here since the birth of the world. But recently," the knocks on the wood and a hollow sound came from it. "We discovered it to be hollowed out by an insignificant being."

———————————————————————————

Release date: March 15th