L

~Saturday, May 28th~

Though I know deep down that they couldn't be any more perfect, I fidget with my pointe shoes. Checking that the ribbon won't come untucked, making sure I have enough rosin, and pressing into my demi-pointe to ensure that they're properly broken in. And I also repeatedly check my hair, making sure that not a single strand of hair is out of place.

"Theresa?" The whisper breaks me out of my zone as I stand backstage behind one of the big set pieces, just minutes before the curtain rises for Giselle. I look up towards the sound of the voice to see David standing in the wing with his costume on, also ready for the performance. He opens his arms to me, and I don't hesitate to accept his hug. "You're ready. You just need to trust yourself," he encourages me. I nod as I pull away from the embrace, soaking in his expert advice.

"Have fun," he says before he needs to leave to get to the other side of the stage. I let these two simple words soak in. I've put all the hard work in, my body is in the best shape of my life, I'm the most experienced I've ever been, and I finally get to perform my dream role.

The overture begins and the momentary calm I had felt dissipates as nerves return. This is actually happening, right now.

To settle myself, I think back to the text message I read just ten minutes ago.

"Good luck, TD. You've put so much time and work in these past few months, and now it will finally pay off. I'm so proud of you, and you should be proud of yourself too," Noah wrote.

I take a deep breath and think of him as I hear my cue, and open the set door - a pretend house in the corner of the stage. Stage lights flood onto my skin, and though my entire nervous system is on overdrive, my muscles know what they're supposed to be doing by heart.

And now, I dance.

~~~~~

Approximately one hour and forty five minutes later, I find myself walking onto the stage hand in hand with David in front of the rest of the cast. The clapping and hollering from the audience barely even resonate in my head as David sends me forward to take my own final bow. Though there are tears in my eyes, my smile never falters. Because even though the best performance of my life so far is over now, there's so much more to come in my career.

This isn't the end. No, it's just the beginning.

~~~~~

~Saturday, June 11th~

    I open the back door of my father's car and step out onto the parking lot of the high school, my parents doing the same from the front seats. After closing the door, I fix the light blue gown which rests on my shoulders, straighten the cords around my neck, and brush the tassel out of my eyes.

"We're going to go find some seats," my dad says, squinting in the bright summer sun as he adjusts his sunglasses. I nod and begin to turn towards the entrance of the high school where I am supposed to meet my homeroom teacher, before my mother's voice stops me.

"Oh, I see Olivia! Let's go say hi first, I haven't caught up with Beth in forever!" My mom says, mentioning Olivia's mom. I glance towards where my mom is pointing and find Olivia, her parents and siblings, Cameron, his parents, and finally - Noah, standing in a circle talking.

It's now that I realize that not only have my parents not met Noah... but I've also failed to inform them that he's my boyfriend.

Oops?

Of course they do know that Noah exists, especially after I spent so much time at the hospital when he was hurt, but at the time I just told them he was a friend since I had bigger things to worry about than discussing having a boyfriend with my parents. I consider diverting my parents away to postpone the conversation, but there's no way I could get away with that without seeming suspicious, since Olivia and her family are there.