XXIV

~Sunday January 16th~

I jolt out of a nice, relaxing, deep slumber to the sound of my phone going off right next to my ear. I sit straight up, startled, and look at the clock on my bedside table. Ten thirty? Why is my alarm so late, I already missed my first two classes! I think, starting to panic. Slowly, I regain my proper thought process as my brain wakes up, and realize that it's Sunday. Thank God, I didn't sleep in. However, it takes me another couple seconds to realize that my phone is still going off, because someone is calling me.

"Hello?" I say in a groggy voice, not even bothering to see who is calling.

"Hey Teresina. Sorry, did I wake you?"

"Oh no, don't worry. I've been up since like eight, doing homework and stuff," I respond to Noah, stifling a yawn.

"Sure," he draws, obviously not believing me. "Is it possible for me to drop Melody off at your house in like ten minutes? It's kind of an emergency and I need her out of the house. I'm really sorry for the short notice."

"Uh, sure. I'll be here. Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, it's really not a big deal, I just need someone to watch her. Thank you so, so much Teresina," he responds quickly.

"No problem," as soon as I respond he hangs up. Shocked slightly - and still half asleep - I sit on my bed and soak in this information, rubbing my face with the heel of my hands to try to wake up. I register a crucial part of what Noah said: can I drop Melody off in ten minutes. I immediately spring out of bed, rushing to the bathroom where I splash cold water on my face and brush my teeth. I don't have time for a shower, so I throw my hair up into a ponytail and change into a comfortable sweatshirt and dark skinny jeans. I head downstairs and shove some cereal in my mouth while I wait for Noah's Jeep to drive around the corner and up the driveway. When I do see it, I put the box of cereal down on the kitchen table to be put away later and open the door to meet them walking up the porch steps.

"Miss Theresa!" Melody exclaims from Noah's arms as soon as she sees me opening the door.

"Hi Melody," I say smiling down at her as Noah passes her to my arms, and I sit her on my hip. My heart melts as she wraps her arms around my neck, hugging me.

"Thank you again Teresina, so, so much. I owe you big time." Noah says, already beginning to take steps backwards to leave.

"It's no problem Noah. Anytime you need anything, I'm here," I respond, trying to search his face for an answer as to what's going on. I find nothing but a cold outer shell, hiding all emotion.

"I need to go. Be good Melody," he glanced over at her, "I'll text you," he says looking back at me one last time before turning around and jogging back to his car.

"Wave bye to Noah," I instruct to Melody as he backs out of the driveway, and I join her in waving at him. He notices, and waves once before leaving down my road. I walk back inside with Melody still on my hip, closing the door behind me. "Do you want to color?" I ask, and she bobs her head up and down vigorously in excitement. "Alright," I say, placing her on the ground. I expect her to wander around the house while I collect the plain white paper, colored paper, and different forms of markers and crayons, but every time I turn around she's following a few feet behind me, looking around.

"Here, come sit," I say as I pull out a chair at the kitchen table, pushing the box of cereal aside. She climbs up on the chair and I sit next to her as she picks a white piece of paper. "What are you gonna draw?"

"I don't know," she responds, seeming to be thinking very carefully about this.

"Why don't you draw a picture for Noah?" I suggest.