Scarlett

Scarlett in Multimedia※
        Red. All I see is red. I can never distinguish whether it is my sanguine hair or blood. To my satisfaction, it is blood. I stand there in the cool moonlit night gazing at my blood stained hands, feeling the once warm liquid start to congeal.

        I chuckle maniacally to myself, but suddenly I stop as I follow a trail of blood that leads to a lifeless corpse that is contorted into the most horrifying position. The body belongs to a girl in her early 20's. Her white blonde hair is matted and splattered with red specks that I assume is her own blood. Her back is arched upwards and her limbs are tucked tightly underneath her in a unnatural and irregular way.

        I try to rip my eyes away from her mangled body until I notice her wild eyes are staring right back at me. I finally realize that there is a hole in her chest where her heart should be. I start to whisper to myself repeatedly, "No,no,no,no,no...". I search frantically for the girl's missing heart and I find it. Laying on the ground, next to my feet. Sobs silently hang in my throat as tears sting my eyes.

        I scrub my hands clean of the girl's blood on my dark blue jeans. I reach into my pocket for my cellphone as the tears roll down my face. I dial Joseph's number, and he answers on the third ring. "Scarlett?", he says with his voice still sluggish from sleep. "What's wrong?" "Joseph.......I've done it again", I say as my tears hit the dead girl's heart that is still lying on the ground. It slowly beating in the moonlight until it ceases and stays as still as water.