Song of the Sparrow

I woke up on a Saturday morning and heard a sparrow outside my window it's song telling me to be strong, but it just couldn't. I had so much to do. School, work at my parents' restaurant, and my music. It was too much I was stressed. Tonight I remembered I was supposed to play at the restaurant with my favorite band SayWeCanFly! I was nervous.

I knew I couldn't stay in bed much longer, so I got up instantly regretting leaving the warm cocoon that was my blankets. The room was cold from the winter chill creeping though my bedroom window. Walking toward the window to close it, I couldnt help but peer out to see the glittering white sheets of snow that covered the outside world. Christmas was just a few weeks away and it was about time it finally snowed. Everything was quieter, the sound muffled by the cold white powder covering the ground and trees outside.

Quickly I pushed down on the top of the window closing it, preventing any more of the chill invading my room.

I got dressed in a pair of jeans and a SayWeCanFly. Stay Cozy hoodie the thermometer said it was 35 degrees outside but it felt like 15. I hurried downstairs grabbed a granola Bar and walked down the few blocks to The Spotlight my parents' lounge and tiny concert venue. They knew how much I loved music and I've been playing music since I was 12.

As I walked through the front doors I was greeted by the warm air and smell of peppermint. My parents loved christmas and went all out to make it look more christmas like. Red and green fairy lights hung along the tops of the walls and on the edges of a few tables scattered around the room. The egde of the small raised stage was no exception to the wrath of the lights yet also held little ornament bulbs spaced along the edges. I walked up to one and held it up closer to see the words "saywecanfly" along with Braden's name underneath it. Curiously I walked to the next one to see my own name on it.

"Mom?" I asked awed. "Where did you get these?"

"I made them! You like them? Are you all set for tonight?" She asked.

A slow smile spread across my face. "I love them. They look amazing." I replied. "And I think so. I just came to rehearse a couple more times, just to make sure. If that's okay?"

"Of course!" Mom says giving me a hug. "You can use that guitar over there. Do you want anything from the deli for lunch?"

I returned the hug before replying "Sure, that sounds really good. Thank you Mom." Being careful of the lights, I climbed onto the stage and walked to the dark blue and black guitar that was on the stand.

"Okay" she said. "What do you want?"

"Just a sandwhich or something is fine, I don't mind."

"Okay. Did you finish your homework?" She asked using the strict mom tone. She knew I loved music, playing and promoting shows, but school came first.

"Yep, I did it as soon as I got home yesterday. I wanted to have as much time as possible for practice."

"Good" she said smiling. "Your dad will be here around 4 when Braden is scheduled to arrive. So in about 3 hours." She said looking at the clock above the stage.

***3 hours later***

I see a guy with long black hair a little shorter than mine. A lip piercing, and a guitar come into the restaurant.

I wanted to scream but I also didn't want to scare him. My eyes must have given me away.

"Hi, I'm Braden. I'm here to play a show." He said.