Try again (Jaehyun)

Start from the beginning

"Things are getting pretty serious here," Johnny laughed awkwardly as he tried to mitigate the tension.

Y/N laughed alongside him, "sorry, I guess I got a little too carried away."

"It's time to take a break, everyone," said Johnny. "Meanwhile, please enjoy these songs."

Y/N took off her headphones and quickly stood up. She needed to use the bathroom. She wished she hadn't consumed so much water when Jiyeon offered it. She stepped out of the recording room and headed for the bathroom at the end of the empty hallway.

Before she could reach the door, someone grabbed her wrist. She turned around and a frown was instantly etched on her face. "What are you-" before she could complete her sentence she was being pulled along by Jaehyun.

He pulled her with him to the roof top and closed the door securely behind him. "Hey! What's the matter with you?" She demanded angrily as she roughly pulled her arm out of his grasp.

"This might be the only chance I get to talk to you, so please listen," he said pressingly.

"I don't have to listen to anything you have to say!" She said as she tried to move past him but he blocked her way. She stood there with her arms folded in front of her and a scowl on her face.

She looked at his face and was reminded of their happiest and their painful memories. The most painful one being two years ago, when she had received a call from him. He had wanted to meet up urgently. And so, Y/N had abandoned everything and had run to him.

Y/N remembered that night too clearly. He was at a park, sitting at the base of a slide. His head hung low between his knees. He had looked up when she called his name. Y/N walked over to him as he stood up. She had wanted to hug him so bad but was surprised when he stopped her.

He had, then, lowered the mask from his face and licked his dry lips. "I'm sorry, Y/N, but we must break up."

"Very funny, now tell me why you called me here so urgently?"

"I'm serious." If she hadn't seen the expression on his face she might not have believed him.

"What are you saying?" Her voice was reduced to a squeak. "Why?"

He looked at his feet, refusing to make eye-contact. "It's better this way. We'll be able to focus more on our careers if we don't distract each other. We'll both be debuting soon, let's not do this to ourselves." He turned his back on her.

"Wait, Jae," she called to him. But he didn't turn around. Y/N had spent the next two months trying to contact him but he had ignored her.

But now, the tables had turned. Now it was Jaehyun standing in front of her, trying to make her listen. "Alright, speak and be done with it, then," she said reluctantly, thinking she'd allow him this. And the sooner this was over the better.

"I'm really sorry, Y/N, for what I did in the past. I know, I was a complete jerk to you."

"So, you want to apologise. Is that why you brought me here?"

"Yes, and... I want to give us another chance," he said tentatively.

Y/N laughed. Really laughed. "You want to give us another chance? You? You're in no position to be calling the shots, sunbaenim," she emphasised the last part, to make him understand that she didn't want anything to do with him.

Sure enough, Jaehyun had winced at being called that but still persisted. "When I broke up with you it was hard on me too, okay? I had wanted you then and I want you now as well."

"Don't give me that bullsh-"

"I'm not! I mean it, I swear."

"Alright, let's put this all behind us and start seeing each other again," she said with mock sweetness in her voice. "Is that what you expected I'd say? After everything you made me go through you thought I'd be ecstatic to get back with you? Do you really think I'm that easy?"

"Y/N, please, just let me-"

"No," she said with finality. "The show has probably already started." She pushed past him, threw the door open and walked out. Turning her back on him like he had done.

She had made a quick trip to the bathroom before returning to the studio. Luckily, she had returned just in time. In the next half of the show Y/N didn't speak much, letting Jiyeon do most of the talking. At the end of the show, the duo sang a part of their title song for the viewers.

The staff informed them that they still had some time left before the end of the show. "Why don't you end it with a song, then?" Johnny suggested and Jaehyun quickly agreed.

Y/N got goosebumps when Jaehyun started singing. Yes, she had heard him sing live countless times. In fact, it was one of the things she had enjoyed in the past when they were together.

But this song just hit differently.

"So whenever, you ask me again," he sang, "how I feel, please remember, my answer is you." Y/N looked away from him, wanting for the show to quickly end.

"We'll be alright, I want to try again. We'll be alright, please try again."

And thankfully, the show finally ended.

xxx

Thanks for reading this I hope y'all enjoyed it. Also, special thanks to @sunflowerzen for requesting this.

I don't want to leave this on a sad note, so here's a meme: