The Brothers Are Back In Town

John had gained back his Peaky hat (razor blades included) and he couldn't have been happier

He hated the lifestyle but he loved the hat and he had to stop wearing it once he began his new life in Aus.

"Wow. I didn't think you would suit a Peaky cap this much, John boy." Lucille welcomed him home as he returned from The Garrison a few days later. "How was the reunion?"

The Shelby brothers had arranged a reunion and John had decided that it would be the perfect opportunity for him to tell his brothers about his 'death' and what he had been doing since.

However, it didn't go as smoothly as he had hoped it would.

"It was good." He chirped enthusiastically. "Had a few pints with the brothers then some of the Peaky lads came by."

"I'm guessing you told them everything?" John nodded as he took a seat at the dining room table with his family. Polly was at Ada's for the weekend and left her house to Lucille, John and the kids. "What did they have to say about it all?"

"Finn wasn't bothered; he was just happy to 'ave me back I think. Arthur was pissed that I went to the Changretta's for help instead of him but he's gotten over it now."

The fact that he avoided bringing up Tommy's reaction about his life stuck out like a sore thumb to Lucille because she knew that his would be the one to worry about.

"And Thomas?"

"Can't get anything past you can I, eh?" John smirked, nudging her ankle with his foot under the table. "How do you think he reacted?"

"Flipped the fuck out?" He just nodded his head as he helped himself to the food on the table and scolded Elizabeth and William who were bickering with one another across the table.

"He flipped the table over. Smashed some glasses. Punched the wall and tried to give me a beating. He would 'ave if it weren't for Finn and Arthur holding him back."

Usually, Lucille would tell John off for talking with his mouth full but she let it slide just this once.

"If he dares lay a hand on you he'll have me to go through."

The family ate the rest of their dinner peacefully and, before they knew it, the kids were ready for bed and out for the count an hour later.

Now, John and Lucille were lay together on the sofa with the radio playing softly in the background as they enjoyed the company of each other.

That was until the front door was thrown open and slammed shut and in ran Ada Shelby with Polly following behind her.

"Fuck you, John Shelby!"

The sound of her screaming and her bag being thrown across the living room sent Lucille launching herself to her feet and backing away from the encounter.

"Eh?" John sat up but was still confused about what on earth was going on.

"You were dead! You died!" Ada's heart was broken when she heard the news of her brothers passing and now she felt both that and anger that he had (somehow) just miraculously reappeared again and didn't tell her. "I watched you fucking burn in that carriage! And now I find out you're not even dead and I've been heart broken for years over someone who is alive! And you didn't even fucking tell me you were here! You didn't come to see me!"

Ada was sobbing as she let out everything that she had been feeling for so long.

Polly and Lucille had to come to either side of her and hold her up because the emotions she was feeling had grown to be too much that her legs began to shake beneath her and she almost tumbled to the floor in a heap of tears.

"Ada I'm so sorry."

"I need a drink."

With the aid of Polly, both of the Shelby women retreated to the kitchen/dining room which left Lucille stood in a daze and John sat with tearful eyes as he began to realise the effect that his resurrection was having on his family.

"I shouldn't have-"

Lucille knew exactly was about to come from his mouth and so she cut him off before he could finish his sentence.

"No regrets, John." That was their thing; 'no regrets'. "They've all been hurting since then but now they can let that hurt go because you're here and you are fine."

"She's gonna hate me."

"Not forever she won't."

Lucille walked over to him and took his hand in his, sending him a reassuring smile before she lead the two of them to join his sister and aunt.

Ada was sat with a full glass of what looked like water but was more than likely something stronger than that; way stronger.

"I fuckin' hate you, John." She had tried to sound as angry as she could but her true feelings failed her and her voice wavered as she spoke. "But I've missed you so much."

"Oh, come 'ere you."

Lucille could feel her eyes tearing up as she watched her two best friends hugging one another after years of hidden truths.

That night, John forgot all about his brothers and was solely focused on his one and only sister; the first girl to have his heart.

They talked about what they had missed out on in each other's lives and what they looked forward to being able to do with each other now that they didn't have to hide.

When John began talking about Lucille and his plans that he had for them both, Ada knew that he was so deeply in love with her best friend.

Ada watched John who was sat beside her on the sofa whilst Polly and Lucille were across the room on an arm chair each, laughing together about a story that Polly had told her about the young Shelby siblings and the mischief they all got up to in their younger days.

"You really love her, don't you?"

"I feel terrible to admit it but I love her more than I've ever loved anyone and I didn't think I ever could after Martha and Esme. I didn't even love Lizzie back in the day now that I come to think about it."

"I prefer you two together." Ada approved as she squeezed her brothers hand gently before retreating her hold. "That's what I'd call a perfect match."

"I fuckin' hope so."