The Truth Revealed

The next day, Lucille woke up before John, naked limbs still tangled with his after a night of passionate love making as a way of celebrating their good news

Immediately, she went to the phone to call Polly, Ada and Harry to tell them her good news. They were going to be so happy for her.

She called Ada first from the hotel telephone, her nerves going haywire as she listened to it dial until Ada picked up.

"Hello?"

"Ada, it's Luce. You'll never guess what?" She couldn't contain the excitement that spilled as she spoke.

"Did that man of yours finally get you pregnant like he said he would?"

"No." Lucille giggled down the line. "Not yet at least."

"Well it must be good news. I can hear you smiling through the phone."

"He proposed last night." Ada's gasp made her chuckle again. "I'm getting married!"

"Oh my god! Congratulations!"

The best friends shared squeals and giggles before she announced that she was going to call Polly and tell her the news.

"Who is this?" Polly's bitter voice sounded down the line and Lucille couldn't help but laugh. "Luce? Is that you?"

"It's me, Pol." She giggled again. "Listen, I've got some news for you."

"Oh Jesus. What is it now?" Polly joked. "Pregnant?"

"No! Not yet. Ada asked the same." Sounds of Polly's chuckles could be heard before she spoke again. "I'm getting married, Pol. John proposed last night."

"You are joking! Congratulations, sweetheart. Oh, I'm just so happy for you, Luce."

Polly cried a little as they spoke and Lucille described how John had proposed, the ring and even how she had described the ring to him months ago and he had gotten exactly what she had always wanted.

Eventually they ended the phone call when Lucille felt strong arms slip around her waist and a chin being rested on her shoulder.

"Who's that?" John had whispered into the skin of her neck.

"Alright, I'll speak to you later, Pol. Bye." Then she hung up. "I called Polly and Ada to tell them our good news."

She could feel John's muscles tense ever so slightly at the mention of the Shelby's but she knew that they would. This always happened at the mention of the Shelby's.

"Oh. That's nice. Were they happy?" She just nodded. "That's good, love."

The pair got dressed for the day and headed out to do a little sight seeing and wandering around the city.

As always the had something to talk about. It was always like this with them. They never had a shortage of things to talk about or do together and both loved that about the other.