Polly Police

Polly had booked to fly out to Australia as a surprise to see Lucille

She had everything planned right down to breakfast, lunch and dinners for them both and even had thought about organising a night where she could meet Lucille's new love John.

With the news of their engagement, Polly felt that it was the right time to surprise her favourite Scottish Blondie.

So, here she was. Polly Gray, standing alone and armed in the middle of the town centre and desperate for an alcoholic drink.

In a twisted spin of fate, Polly entered the first pub that she saw which just so happened to be the pub that Lucille worked for except she was off for the day and Anna was working.

"What can I get for you, Miss?" Anna had greeted Polly as she dropped her suitcase to her feet and sat on one of the bar stools and lit a cigarette.

"Whiskey. The strongest you've got."

"You're not from around here, are you?" Anna always made small talk with new customers. She liked getting to know everyone and the chatting helped her shift go by quicker. "Your accent is different."

"Birmingham."

Polly gulped down the contents of the glass and slid it back across the bar top for a refill.

"We've got a girl who works here who's from Birmingham. Well, she's Scottish but she lived in Birmingham."

Now that caught Polly's attention.

"What's her name?"

"Lucille River. Blonde, quite small, feisty."

"That's the one." Polly mumbled to herself. "Is she working today?"

"No. Why?"

"Call her." Anna stared at Polly as if she were insane. That was until she saw the gun resting casually in the harness Polly had on under her coat. "Now!"

Anna ran to where the telephone was located in the pub and called Lucille.

"Hello?"

"Hi Lucille, it's Anna."

Lucille immediately groaned. Today was a bad day from the start and she could tell that something worse was bound to happen.

"Look, Anna; If this is to ask me to come in for a shift then the answer is no."

"No, no! It's not that. There's a woman here asking for you. I think you should come down to the pub."

"Who is she?"

"She didn't say."

Lucille hadn't had any run ins with bad people since she had started her new life here in Australia and, for some reason, she felt like that streak of luck was bound to end soon.