Chapter 5 "I Was Empty"

“I didn’t know that rabbit exists in this world,” Soleil said while watching a rabbit hopped up and down around the palace’s garden. Thinking that Alipia land is a place of unrealistic species, she was thankful to see at least one familiar kind.

  “Loui.” Sweet voice resonated at the background. Just when she turned around, a she saw a prince in black cloak, standing behind her back. The prince has cat-like eyes with double lids, pink soft hair, perfect small heart shape face, pointed nose and fluffy lips that have up-side arch on each sides. “The rabbit’s name is Loui,” he explained with a soft smile.

  Among the princes she has actually met, this prince name Shua has friendlier look than the others. Perhaps, having at least one companion might led to a more comfortable life. “G-Good afternoon Prince…”

  “Shua.”

  “Ahhh yeah. S-Shua. Prince Shua.”

  “Do you mind if I sit beside you Princess Soleil?”

  “If you won’t kill me, then I don’t mind.”
  Of course it wasn’t her joke. Every time she faces a new character on this land, Soleil thinks that her life  is between life and death.

  Prince Shua spoke with giggle, “I won’t kill you princess. Why should I?”

  ‘Because I am just a human and I am not qualified to be your next queen?’ Soleil said in her mind. But instead of saying it, she just forged a beam then guided her hands on the empty space beside her.

  “Thank you,” Prince Shua said in energetic tone before he occupying the space. Under the sunset, Shua’s eyes are glinting in gold and it made her curious what kind of power he possessed. ‘It won’t be as deadly as Prince Cheol’s power, would be?’ she asked inwardly. “Are you curious about my power?” he asked as if he read her mind. Agreeing enthusiastically, Soleil nodded by his response. “I am a prince of Death,” he shared. “I am a living poison.”

  ‘Like a death note I watched in an anime movie?’ Soleil lost in her thoughts.

  “But my powers only applied to those I hate. That’s why, you shouldn’t do things that’ll push me to hate you,” he said these words without pulling his smiles.

  On the second thought, Soleil realized that this guy is as dangerous as the other Princes she has met. Watching her sigh, he couldn’t help but to put enigmatic look on his face. “Anyway, how is your 2nd day here in the palace?” he asked yet didn’t look curious at all.

  “Just fine,” she brought a lie in difficulty.

  Prince Shua hunches his shoulder and diverted his eyes towards the orange sky. “Do you want to go back to your own world?”

  Without thinking too much, she blurted, “Yes.” But soon she covered her mouth upon realizing that her answer was due of her carelessness.

  He tends his eyes back to her and suggested, “Then marry me.”

  Okay. That was a serious argument that sounds like a joke. Unlike the other Princes, Prince Shua is one of the faithful subjects of the king. Therefore, if marrying this girl will profit the kingdom then he’ll try to commit this command. He doesn’t care if there is or isn’t love between their future relationship since from the beginning, he accepted the fact that being the Prince of ‘Death’ makes him loveless. His heart only allows him to hate, to accept hatred and to feel empty.

  “You guys are too handsome. Why would you care on someone as simple as me? Things are really weird,” she mumbled for herself but still, he heard it vivid and clear.

  Prince Shua burst in laughing. “You think you aren’t pretty?”

  “I’m not. But I think I’m cute.”

  “Cute huh. Cute. Hmmmm? Well, sort of.”

  The two looked at each other and laughed in unison.

  Something was off. He was never been this comfortable with a girl in his entire life, as if she is a mystery door he can open without hassle.

  “Princess Soleil,” he changed the topic while leaning closer to her face. “If you ever have hard time falling to any of the princes, you can choose me. I’m serious.”

  He maybe is. But what bothered her were not his remarks but their awkward position on the bench. His face is too close that a little move will make her lips bump into his. No lady can resist this heart pounding romantic vibe especially when they are looking at each other under the gorgeous sunset illuminating at the sky.  

  Amidst of this strained atmosphere, a snake crawled under his feet without knowing. It trundled around his brown leather boot before it bit his leg. “Ohh~” Nonchalantly, he winced. Soleil saw the snake crawling away after hurting its victim. “A snake bit you!” she panicked.

  Here is what she learned as a human: If you got bitten by a snake, it is necessarily to sucks the blood so the poison won’t spread. So she kneeled down, tied his legs with her hair ribbon and ripped the fabric part where the wound is located. Of course, Prince Shua wasn’t aware about this first aid she is trying to do. “What are you doing?” he asked, blinking swiftly. “I am trying to save you!” she shouted. With that, Shua glanced at the snake that it is dead by his blood.

  Just like what he had said, as the Prince of Death, he is a living poison. Everyone who touches his blood will soon turn into a cold corpse. If he grew hatred towards somebody, he will develop a curse that makes her/him go blind.  That’s why…

  “Hey don’t-!” He pushed her away after she sucks the blood from his wound. ‘This is bad. If I don’t take her to Prince Eyt, she’ll die!’ Prince Shua gasped in his mind.

  “I’m s-sorry. I was just trying to get the poison out,” she explained with pale face.

  “Idiot! My blood itself is a-”

  He couldn’t finish his words. The fact that she is still alive after sucking his blood made him in awe.

  “You… look okay,” he stuttered, eyes are roundly opened.

  “Of course I am! It is you who are in danger!” she firmly said.

  “No. My powers allowed me to stay alive even if I got bitten by a snake.”

  Ahh really?” She fetched a sigh in relief. “Then it’s great. I was scared for a moment. Phew~”

Prince Shua just keeps on staring her. “W-Why?” Soleil asked when she saw his anxious stares. “You aren’t a Deces (Royal blood lineage). But you didn’t die from my blood,” he answered. He raised his hand and soon cupped her cheek. “Then, you are a Canes.”

  She once heard that term from Gideon who brought her into this world. Gideon said that Canes are the one who seeks justice but she didn’t have enough idea about it. “Canes? What was that?” she asked, quite uncomfortable by his sudden skinship.

Wind blew and shook his pink soft hair. Prince Shua gave her another sweet smile as he uttered, “Canes is the only one I can fall for. Because Deces like me are born to love Canes like you.”

To be continued…