11

The woman beside him had gone pale as she looked up at the red light in the sky. There was no way that was good. It was clear she recognized it from somewhere and that, wherever that was, it was not a good sign. Perhaps it was the Gods sending her a message about how they should be treated. No, there was no way it was that straightforward.

The woman snapped out of her daze and said, "Leo. Dear. Sweetie. Tell me something."

"Did you just call me -"

"You wouldn't happen to know about any resident Terpolites?" She gave him a sidelong glance. "Hypothetically, of course."

Leonidas blinked. "Your words are strange," he said. "What are Terpolites."

She groaned. "For the love of Naiu, you are not helpful!" She tugged at her hair. "Okay, do you know anyone with power in the local area? Like me, for example. Anyone with power like me?"

He shook his head.

"Of course you don't. Why would it be that easy?" She laughed sarcastically. "They're probably hiding their power and attempting to pass as Human. You probably see them every day and don't even realise it."

"Are you alright?" 

She stopped rambling. "Yes. Fine."

Leonidas gave her a pointed look.

"Shut up." She took a few steps forward and, when he made to follow, she turned back. "Stay." Then she was off, running into the distance.

Leonidas gaped at her speed. No mortal could move that fast. She was a blur of colour, barely visible in the storm. Within a few seconds he could no longer see her. Within that time, he realised whatever was stopping the rain was gone. 

Cold was seeping into his bones. The shivering set in, the temperature having suddenly plummeted. It was not supposed to be this cold. This was one of the warmest months! Maybe Jupiter was already mad and the woman had made things worse. Then again, she seemed to be on some sort of mission when she took off. Did she know what was really going on? There was only one way to find out.

Leonidas ran after her.

* * * * * * * * 

There was a Terpolite here and she knew it. The red lightning straight up gave it away. It also gave away that this one knew she was here and was willing to take her on. And that, whoever it was, they were a showoff. 

But I haven't sensed anything!

There had been no sign of any Terpolites when she arrived in Rome and she hadn't noticed any in the few days she had been here. For them to find her first . . . It was beyond an embarrassment. Here she was, the great Photon Guardian and Queen, and she'd been outsmarted by a soldier. Gods, she would never live this down if her people found out!

Amneris continued to run. She needed to find some trace, some source of energy that was out of place. Her senses alone, it seemed, wouldn't be enough. So, she used her power. A flare of energy escaped her body like a ripple in water. Within a minute reached the city. 

Nothing. Nothing. Nothi- 

There!

A strange energy was just ahead of her. It definitely didn't belong to this world. Amneris aimed for it, running to the top of the grassy hill to a plateau where she saw something she definitely had not expected to see.

Festus was standing before her. "Fancy meeting you here, Topanga," he said with a grin.

Amneris looked him over. He was no longer in his Roman clothing, instead having changed into his Terpolite uniform. The red high-collar jacket was turned against the wind, the seal of Terpola embroidered across its breast. His hands were in the pockets of his black pants which covered black boots. His brown hair was pasted to his head from the rain, barely covering his black eyes.

"Well," Amneris said, "that I didn't see coming."

"Oh, I'm not alone," the man said, leaning forward slightly as though he were telling her a secret. "Want to meet my friend?"

"Not particularity," she said deadpan.

"Too bad."

A man stepped from behind him. 

The two could have passed as twins with their matching clothes, but this one Amneris knew. His chocolate brown eyes rested on her and glistened with unknown intent as he shook his black hair from his face. "Hello, Amneris."

"Hello to you, too, Kek."