17

His body ached, his vision was blurred, and there was a strange burning sensation on his left wrist. Leonidas urged himself to properly awaken. When he did, he found a woman looking down at him. His body refused to move but he managed to speak.

"Hey."

"Hey," Amneris said. "How do you feel?"

"Like I was stabbed in the back by my best friend. Ex-best friend," he corrected.

She smiled softly, helping him sit upright. "Wish I could say I didn't know the feeling."

Leonidas looked over himself. The only sign of his death was his blood-soaked clothing and the small tear in the fabric. There was no wound. There was, however, a scar over his heart. Leonidas knew there would be one on his back as well. He glanced down to his left wrist. The burning sensation had gone, leaving a marking there.

"It's mine," Amneris said. She tapped the symbol. "That's my mark. You're like me now."

"How can you be sure?" he asked.

She cocked her head. "Well, I could always stab you . . ."

"No, thank you." He took her hand. "You look different."

"Ah. Yes. What you saw was what I really look like." Amneris gestured to herself. "This is just my usual appearance. My Lyriumian self. Or Fae self depending on who you ask." 

"You look good either way." He took a long breath. "What now?"

"Well," she said, pulling him to his feet. "Now you go pack and we leave before someone comes by and sees your dead body."

"Sees my wha - oh."

Right beside where he had been laying moments ago, Leonidas saw himself dead on the ground.

"Yeah," Amneris said, standing beside him. "That's your old body. Your mortal form, I guess." She poked his arm. "This is your new immortal one."

"Huh." He prodded his chest. "That is so strange."

"You're still Human, if that helps."

"It does."

"Good." She tugged his hand. "Come on."

* * * * * * * * 

By the time Leonidas had packed everything he could carry to take with him, the sky was a bright blue. He'd taken longer than expected. Amneris had gotten sick of waiting a while ago, saying she would wait for him at the Eastern Gate. It wasn't too far from his home luckily. All he had to do was get there without being spotted. No doubt his body had been found by now . . . 

Leonidas crept from his room, bags on his shoulders, toward the front door. The house was silent. Perhaps everyone was still asleep. There was a chance he could make it before-

Someone screamed from behind. 

Before that happened. 

Leonidas dared a glance behind. Decima was standing frozen in shock, staring right at him.

"You . . . You are dead." Her voice shook. "They found your body. How can you be . . ."

He dropped his bags to catch her as she collapsed. He carried her to one of the lounges and set her down. "It is difficult to explain," he said, stroking her hair. "I am dead but I am also more alive than I have ever been."

Decima lifted a shaking hand and held it over his heart. It no longer beat. "I need to lie down," she said. 

"You are lying down."

"Oh." She glanced at the bags dropped in the hallway. "You are leaving."

"Yeah." He followed her gaze. "I have to. I no longer belong here."

"You are a spirit." She fainted. 

"I suppose I am." Leonidas kissed her brow and pulled a blanket over her body. "Take care of yourself." 

He made to pick up his bags again but hesitated, turning back to Decima. There was one more thing he needed to do before leaving for good. He owed it to her. Leonidas glanced at the sky once more. At the position of the sun. There was still time for this. 

Leonidas rushed to his father's office, found a spare sheet of papyrus and some ink. He sat, spending the next few minutes writing out his will. He had never thought he would need one nor thought of what would be on it, but now he did. Leonidas made sure the very first thing there was for Decima. A considerable amount of money and the residence that was supposed to be left for him were to go to her so she could make her own way in the world. 

There was no way to know if his father would respect this wish, but Leonidas had a feeling he would be allowed back if he did not. 

* * * * * * * * 

"I was beginning to think you'd changed your mind," Amneris said around a mouthful of dates. She was standing away from the gate itself, out of sight from the people entering and leaving the city. Amneris looked over the bags he was carrying. "Wow. You pack worse than me."

"You did say we were leaving forever." Leonidas countered. 

"It can't have taken you that long to pack that much." She ate one more dated, folded the rest in fabric and pocketed them. "What were you doing?"

He smiled. "Making sure a friend would be cared for."

"Hmm." She shrugged. "If you say so." Amneris took one of the bags from his shoulder to lighten his load. "Ready to go?"

Leonidas took her hand. "I am."

Light spilled from Amneris' body, creating a swirling portal in front of them. She squeezed her friend's hand. He returned the gesture. 

As one, they stepped into the light.