7

Leonidas swore he only turned away for a second. He had gone to pay for their meal and she had walked away. She seemed to do that a lot and he had no idea why. A huff. This woman was very slippery. Who knew how long it would take to find her again! He had the strangest feeling that her being drunk would not help his case. She was certainly an . . . interesting drunk. He should have given her something to drink earlier. The thought was enough to make him laugh, drawing glances from those wandering the roads this late.

He had not realised how late it was until he was Selene's moon chariot passing the center of the heavens. He cringed at the thought of returning home. His father would be far from approving should he return now, especially without their guest. Said guest could take care of herself. That much was obvious. Even so, he decided to wait outside the bar a little longer, in case she decided to reappear. When it was clear she would not, he wandered towards Festus' house.

He and his old friend had made a pact some time ago. As they were both the sons of strict fathers - expect Leonidas' was far superior in that particular quality - they had shown each other a secret way to enter their rooms. The only catch was that they would have to leave by dawn. Festus did not live too far away from the bar nor Leonidas' house, so that was rarely an issue.

Only a few minutes later, he found himself sneaking in through the 'secret' passage leading straight into his friend's rooms. It was quiet enough that Leonidas thought his friend was asleep. That thought was quickly changed by the sound of a moan. His first thought was that his friend had been in pain, so he rushed into the sleeping quarters. Leonidas skidded to a halt upon entry, regretting his decision at the sight of Festus on top of a woman. He turned and left the room.

After a few minutes of waiting outside of his friend's room, Leonidas was finally joined by Festus. "Your timing is horrid."

"I had noticed," Leonidas agreed. "Where did you find her?"

A laugh. "She found me."

"Oh?"

Before he could explain, the woman walked out of the room. Leonidas recognized her immediately. "What are you doing here?" Amneris tilted her head to the side, the strap of her strange looking and rather revealing dress falling off her shoulder. Leonidas muttered to himself as he found a spare sheet in Festus' room. He wrapped it around her. "Why. Are. You. Here?"

"I can do as I please," she answered, pushing past him. He grabbed her and held her against him. She struggled against his grip. "Release me, mortal!"

Festus glanced between the two. "You . . . know each other?"

"Long story," Leonidas said, leading the woman out of the house. "We can discuss it later, my friend!" he called over his shoulder before turning back to the woman. "Do you even know who that is?" he hissed.

The woman tilted her head to the side again. It was as though she were watching him from a distance. "Why do you care?"

He could smell the alcohol on her breath. Drunk, he realised. She probably had no idea what she was doing. Leonidas decided that he would be surprised if she remembered anything the next morning. Even so, this woman was a disgrace to his father's name. "You are staying in my father's household. So long as you are with us, you will behave."

She laughed. "Or you'll do what?" She came close enough for them to be face to face when she stood on her toes. "You can't do a thing to me." Leonidas smirked, grasped the woman's waist, and tossed her over his shoulder. "Hey!" she yelled, pounding his back. "Put me down!"

"Not until we return home." The pounding stopped. Some great warrior. A strange tingle ran through his body, starting from the woman. He ignored it and it stopped. There was a sigh from over his shoulder, followed by muttering. He felt her body shift until she found a comfortable spot. He could not hide a satisfied smile as he carried her back to his house.