16

Amneris watched on, frozen in shock. In anger. In so many things that she thought her head would explode from the noise. She couldn't remember the last time she felt so much. It was ages ago. Some far off place. Even now, even as she barely registered Festus and Kek vanishing, it didn't feel real. 

But it was.

Amneris ran forward to catch Leonidas before he reached the ground. She cradled him in her arms. Another innocent caught in the crossfire of her eternal battle. 

She lowered her head to his, sobbing silently. "I'm so sorry."

There was nothing she could do to save him.

Or maybe there was.

"Oh, come on," she whispered to the Old Gods. "Please give me this one."

Amneris rubbed her hands together until they glowed. She placed one on each side of his head. Her power flowed into his body as her mind reached out to the small strand of potential life his soul clung to with all his might. There was a chance . . . 

* * * * * * * * 

Leonidas came to groggy awareness. He pushed himself upright, holding a hand to his head. It was strange. The world around him was wrong. It was dark. Strangely dark. A fast-moving river made of dark blue water rushed near his feet. He was laying on the grey river bank.

"You sure got yourself into a mess, kid."

Leonidas looked up at the voice. He scrambled back at what he saw. A dark-skinned man wearing a tunic and winged sandals was crouched in front of him, head tilted to the side with great interest. 

"Mercury . . ." Leonidas said in awe.

"That's right," the God said, tipping his petasos in greeting. 

Leonidas finally understood where he was. "I'm dead."

"Yes."

"Is that the River Styx?"

"It is."

"Huh." Leonidas got to his feet, stepping closer to the River. He looked up one end, then the other. A cloaked man was guiding a boat in his direction. "And that would be Charun coming to take me to be judged."

Mercury nodded, standing. "If you had a coin, he would."

Leonidas turned to him. "What do you mean if I had a coin?"

"Ah," the God said. "You probably think you have had your funeral." He shook his head. "Not the case, I'm afraid. It's rather complicated."

"How?" he demanded. 

"You are still holding onto your mortal life despite the fact you died. Some friend that Festus boy. Stuck a sword right through you." 

"Yes, I know. I was there."

"It would seem today is your lucky day." Mercury leaned on his Caduceus. "It would appear you have a choice. Move on to the Afterlife and hope for the best or . . ."

"Or?" Leonidas said.

"Or come back with me."

He spun around at the voice from behind. A woman stood there. A woman with hair of fire, eyes like burning stars, and skin and wings made from night itself. Her clothing, the three strips of fabric making it up, were weaved from starlight. Gemstones dangling from her top and rope belt jangling together. She looked as though she would come closer but couldn't. 

Leonidas' eyes widened. "Amneris?" 

She nodded. "That's right." Amneris gave Mercury a small wave. "Hello again."

Mercury tipped his petasos. "And to you as well." Her returned his attention to Leonidas. "As I said, you have a choice. So, choose. Stay here to face your judgement or go with her." He shrugged. "Easy."

"Easy," Leonidas repeated. "Sure. Very easy. I can either die or live and die again!"

"Not exactly," Amneris said. 

He faced her. "What do you mean?"

"You can stay here and face judgement as Mercury said. I can even give you a coin so you can cross the Styx." She hesitated before continuing. "But if you come with me, you will never be able to come back. Not through death, at least."

"What?"

"You would be immortal, like me. Unable to die properly." Amneris met his gaze. "I don't know what else would happen. I've never made anyone before."

Leonidas looked back and forth between the two Gods. "So I can either die or live forever."

"Yep," said Mercury. 

"In short," Amneris agreed. 

It was an impossible choice. One he had to make. Leonidas knew what would happen if he crossed the Styx. There was a possibility of Elysium but that was doubtful. He'd never done anything heroic in his life and he certainly had not lived a pure life as far as he was concerned. The most likely thing that would happen was spending eternity in the Asphodel Fields. 

He spoke softly to Amneris. "What would happen if I went with you."

She shrugged. "Can't say for certain aside for the immortality. I would have to take you from your world. Humans and immortality is . . . complicated." Her voice softened. "But if you came with me, I could show you all Creation. I could show you worlds you couldn't even dream of. You could see all the stars in existence."

He nodded slowly.

Mercury spoke again. "And if you stay here, I have it on good authority you would make it to Elysium."

Leonidas whipped his head around. "I would?" The God nodded.

There were his two true choice. Spend eternity in Elysium, in paradise, or spent eternity traveling the stars.

Leonidas took a breath. There would be no going back after these worlds. "I have decided." He turned to Mercury. "I am going with her."

The God nodded. "Very well."

He turned to Amneris. "What do I do."

An invisible wind whipped around Amneris. Her voice became more distance with each word. "Take my hand."

Leonidas glanced back at the Styx, at where Mercury had stood moments ago, one last time. At what he was giving up. Yes, this was the right choice. He wasn't ready to leave the world - worlds - behind just yet.

Leonidas reached for Amneris' outstretched hand. He gripped it tight. That invisible wind wrapped around him. Somehow he knew it would take him back to his body. When he finally looked up at Amneris before drifting back into unconsciousness, he saw something strange. A good strange.

For the first time in a thousand years, she was smiling.