3

Leonidas had been watching the woman - Amneris - closer since she had somehow managed to change her clothing with a snap of her fingers midstride. He followed her, ducking in and out of alleyways and hiding in the shadows of burning torches on the edge of buildings. He thought she had spotted him at one point when she stumbled in her footing. He eventually decided he was wrong as she continued with no sign of noticing him. Eventually, she seemed to find what she had been looking for, entering the first bar she saw. He followed. She was, after all, his responsibility during her stay. 

The bar she had entered was nothing impressive, though he was a regular at it. Torches were lit in the centre of the room and on some of the walls, leaving a few corners in darkness. They were for those who did not want to be seen. Leonidas could hear the sound of fighting from further in the bar. He assumed this was one of the paces where people came to bet on battles. Not where you would expect to find a girl who is not a prostitute. Of course, they were easy to spot as well. He found Amneris sitting at the bar, arguing with the bartender. He could not tell over what from where he was standing so decided to move closer. 

"What do you mean I can't have something to drink?" she exclaimed, slamming her hands on the bench in frustration. For a moment, he thought he saw bright blue sparks fly from her body. He blinked and they were gone. 

The bartender turned around, making Leonidas blink in surprise at who it was. "Listen, lady. You ain't getting no drink here."

A hand slowly slid to her thigh where he realised a dagger was strapped. "Why you little -"

Leonidas placed a hand on the woman's shoulder. She seemed surprised, but quickly shook his hand off as he sat beside her. "Give the woman a drink, Brutus." He slid a few bronze coins across the counter, as well as some silver ones. 

Brutus looked between him and Amneris before snatching up the coins and bringing them two clay mugs. "Still going after the ladies, I see," he laughed, turning away. 

"You wish," Leonidas muttered. He turned towards the woman, only to find her in his face. He jumped back, almost falling off his stool.

"What were you thinking?" Amneris snapped. "All I want is five minutes to myself. I don't need you to run after me wherever I go. I can take care of myself."

Leonidas took her hand to stop her from poking his chest as he heard a familiar roar from the fighting arena. He grasped Amneris' hand tightly, half dragging her towards the sound and to the front of the crowd. He did not stop even after she started using some rather unfriendly words before switching to what he assumed was her native tongue. It was obvious from her accent that Latin was not her natural tongue. Leonidas leaned over the railing which was stopping spectators from falling into a stone and dirt pit where fights and bets took place. 

It did not take long for him to spot Festus, his oldest friend, throwing one final punch into the face of his opponent before stepping back and raising his arms towards the crowd victoriously. Leonidas cheered for his friend's victory, letting himself be seen. Festus grinned at him, climbing out of the pit and giving him a fist bump. "Hey, man." Festus' eyes drifted towards Amneris who was looking into the pit almost longingly. "Who's the lady?"

"Says her name is Amneris," Leonidas said. "You got another opponent?" Festus raised an eyebrow questioningly. "You still owe me a rematch." That and it had been quite some time since they had properly fought each other in an actual match. 

His friend grinned again, looking as though he was thrilled with the idea of being able to fight him. "Well, get into the pit." With that, he jumped back down, calling out that a new opponent had come. A cheer came from the crowd

Leonidas put a hand under Amneris' chin, turning her head to face him. She looked more surprised than offended. "Ready to see a real fight?"

She laughed, resting her arms on the rail as he let her go. "I would be shocked if you could take me on!"

"I'll make you eat your words one of these days, sweetheart." Leonidas jumped into the ring and a bell was rung.