All hell breaks loose

Kaylee

Presley and I went to class, then hung out before my shift. I know he worried about the lawsuit, but I know Cap wouldn't let anything slide. The higher-ups were investigating the allegations to see if they had merit. I didn't know how my dad would fare, not reporting the complaints about Martinez. My guess is not good.

We went back to my dorm to change into my uniform, then Presley walked with me to the station.

"I was thinking after your shift, we could grab a bite, then cuddle," Presley said, wiggling his eyebrows.

"What could be more romantic than dinner and cuddling?" I asked, batting my eyelashes, making Presley chuckle.

We reached the station.

"I'll be back at the end of your shift," Presley told me as he kissed me and left.

I walked into the station as the crew joked.

"Ooh, someone's getting lucky," Hathaway teased.

I rolled my eyes. "A lady never kisses and tells," I replied.

Hathaway laughed.

"Has it been busy?" I asked.

"Nope, and we like it that way. It's fewer calls than we had," Lindsey said, climbing down the fire truck.

"It looks like it's you and I are working this evening," Hathaway said, closing a rig.

"What should we watch tonight?" I asked.

"Anything with sexy men," Hathaway answered, making me giggle.

If tonight was slow, the time would drag before I got to see Presley. I hope there's a good show on Netflix this evening.

Presley

I made my way home, whistling as I thought about tonight. I couldn't wait to see Kaylee after my shift. I went back and saw Pax and Shaun hanging out.

"Did Uncle Nixon find you?" Pax asked.

"I didn't know I'm lost. What's Uncle Nixon doing here?" I questioned.

"Shaun called him because big brother bought a bottle of liquor," Pax answered.

I sat down in a chair. "Why?" I asked.

"Because when you don't have something to occupy you, you overthink," Shaun reasoned. "You think one drink helps, then it turns into an empty bottle. You want to numb the mind and pain."

"Is that what happened to you?" I asked curiously. I didn't understand the mind of an alcoholic. I saw Parker battle it but never understood the concept. Plus, I don't drink.

"I found drinking helped me to stop feeling anything. If I drank, I didn't have to think about my home life. When I sobered up and got help, I learned to handle my emotions. Then I met Travis. A bottle was a better alternative than what I had," Shaun explained.

"It's funny when Eliza died; I didn't turn to alcohol. I wanted to shut off my emotions and not feel anything. I thought it was better than feeling an ache," I mentioned.

"Emotions suck," Pax groaned.

Shaun and I looked at Pax strangely. Pax rolled his eyes.

"My mind amplifies everything a thousand times more than a normal person," Pax said, referring to his anxiety. He made a bombing noise with his mouth and gestured.

Shaun and I chuckled. The front door opened as Payton looked at me strangely.

"What?" I asked.

"Uncle Nixon and Parker are looking for you," Payton mentioned.