Guilt

Presley

When we returned from the apple orchard, I went up to my bedroom. I laid down on the bed and fell asleep. I opened my eyes and stood in a house that I didn't recognize. I look around at the room to see a fireplace and couches, along with chairs. I turned and saw a kitchen and dining area.

I walked up the three steps and through the kitchen area to see a living room and hallway. I walked down the hall, stopping at a bedroom. I entered it to see model cars adorning shelves. I walked over and picked one up.

"Be careful, or Nathaniel will have a hissy fit," someone whispered. I almost dropped the car.

I turned to face Grammy Gray. She looked younger than I saw her.

"Nathaniel would spend hours on those cars. He loves cars, my little grease monkey," Grammy said, grinning.

I put the car back and watched a young girl walk into the bedroom. She picked up a car and looked at it, then dropped it.

"Patty? What did you do?" A boy yelled, walking over and picking up the broken car.

"I'm sorry, Nate. It was an accident!" The girl exclaimed.

"Why do you have to be such a klutz?" He huffed. The girl started crying.

"Hey, you don't yell at her. It was an accident," I said.

"Ma! Look at what Patty did!" The boy yelled. A woman came into the bedroom as the girl left.

"Nathaniel, it was an accident," the woman claimed.

"But I worked so hard on it," the boy mumbled.

"Nathaniel, one day, you will understand you can replace things, but not people," the woman advised.

I watched as they disappeared. I stood there, furrowing my brows.

"I remember that day. Nathaniel was so upset, but accidents happen. He hurt someone unnecessary because of his anger," Grammy told me.

I looked at her.

"Anger will destroy us if we allow it," she informed me.

"What happened to the car?" I asked.

"Patty bought Nathaniel one when they dated. She said it was to replace the one that she broke. Patty thought the gift was stupid. Nathaniel loved it because she knew he enjoyed model cars," she replied, smiling.

"You can't replace a person," I mumbled.

"No, you can't, but one day, someone different comes along in your life," she said.

Then I found myself in a cemetery. I stood there, watching a woman and a man at a grave.

"It's my fault. I pushed Marnie to drive," the man said to the woman.

"But you didn't cause her death. It was an accident," the woman reasoned.

I stood there, knowing how real those words are.

"That day, Gray told me about his fiancée's death," Grammy said. "He felt guilty that she died, and he lived."

"Eliza ran back into the building when they told her not to do it. Why didn't she listen?" I asked, looking at Grammy. Tears fell down my cheeks as she looked at me.

"Because Grays have a way about them that makes people risk their lives for them. You should have seen Nashville when Margaret forgot who he was. I swear that boy would lose his marbles," Grammy told me.

"Wait. Grandpa's name is Nashville?" I asked.

"Yes," Grammy said.

That was a new development.