Starting over

Presley

After I picked up my schedule and books, I reported to the station. I hoped I got assigned to a different station. One, because Eliza trained here, and two, Chief Hayes hates me.

I made my way to his office and knocked on the door. The chief looked up from his desk.

"Come in, Gray," the chief said.

I walked into the office and sat down in a seat across from his desk.

"I heard about Eliza," the chief mentioned.

"Yeah," I mumbled.

Chief Hayes leaned back in his chair and looked at me.

"I won't lie. I was transferring you out of this unit to a different one. Your performance was less than stellar last year. You arrived late, showed a lack of respect, and you're sloppy. I don't want that on my team," the chief told me.

I sighed.

"But the lieutenant at the firehouse where you finished your training said you had potential. You showed exemplary skills during that fire, kept your cool, and did your job. That's the only reason I agreed to keep you here," the chief said.

"Yes, sir," I answered.

"Gray, you're a paramedic now. I expect you to do your job, or I will dismiss you," the chief informed me.

I looked at the chief.

"Report for your shift Monday night. You're working the graveyard shift," the chief instructed.

Great, that's the worst shift to get. I didn't argue as I got up and left the office. I ran into Lindsey.

"Sorry to hear about Eliza, Presley. Everyone at the station understands," Lindsey said.

"It's over, and I'm ready to work," I replied, walking away. I didn't want to discuss Eliza. I wanted to do my job and move on with my life.

Kaylee

I arrived on campus, then got my schedule and books. I walked to the station and knocked on Dad's door. He glanced up, then smiled at me as I walked into his office and sat down.

"Are you all set?" Dad asked me.

"Yep, I finished top of my class. Now, to add courses to round out my training. What shift am I working?" I inquired.

"I'm assigning you the graveyard shift with Gray. I need someone to make sure he doesn't screw up," Dad told me.

"Isn't that the probie who you didn't like?" I questioned with a look.

"Unfortunately," Dad sighed.

I gave my dad a look.

"Kaylee, I won't have a paramedic cost lives because he can't get his act together," Dad reasoned.

"But you and I both know that sometimes, people die. We can't save everyone. That's what you told David," I reminded Dad.

"No, but we can try," Dad said.

I shook my head. My dad was difficult with people, but he knows the job and how it affects someone. All we can do is save who we can.

I got up and left the station. I made my way to the dorm and walked in to find a girl there.

"Are you Nora?" I asked.

"Yeah," the girl answered.

"I'm Kaylee. It looks like we're roommates," I introduced myself, shaking hands.