fourteen // she's dying, idiot.

Start from the beginning

I gasp and run towards the wall, but it's no use. The shadow is just a shadow to me. I slam my fist into the wall and cry out, cursing myself for letting her slip out of my hands.

"Why didn't you transform into Chat Noir?!" Plagg snaps, flying out of my jacket.

"You heard her! Hawkmoth was watching her every move, which means he could have seen me transform!" I shout. "He could have-"

I scream out from pain, grasping my chest and not finishing my sentence.

"Adrien!" Plagg cries, flying close to me, cornered.

I collapse to the ground on my knees and clutching my heart. Stabs of pain fill my body every time I breathe. My eyes shoot open once I realize what these sharp pains are from.

"It's my glass heart!" I choke out. "It's reforming!"

Plagg freezes. "That doesn't make any sense!"

"What do you mean?"

The kwami flies over my shoulder and grabs something, then flies back into my view. My eyes shoot wide open from shock. It's a blood covered rose petal.

"How..." I whisper, in shock. "I thought she already confessed her love for Chat Noir!"

"Unless her feelings weren't for Chat Noir, but Adrien," Plagg suggests.

"Why would I have my glass heart then?"

"The akuma took away her emotions, Adrien. She thinks that she doesn't have a crush on you, but she really does," Plagg solemnly explains. "So even though she still has a crush on you, her feelings are gone, so she doesn't think she does. That's why she doesn't accept your feelings, which caused your glass heart to reform."

"I thought that when she told me as Chat Noir she loved me, that it would cure her from the Hanakahi disease," I ignorantly reply. "I didn't know she was still suffering."

"Have you noticed anything different about her?"

"She looked so frail when I saw her." I comment, then slowly look up at Plagg with pure fear in my eyes. "So that means..."

"... Marinette is dying." Plagg finishes quietly. "She's been slowly dying for a week and hasn't said a single word."

That day passed in a blur

That day passed in a blur. Everything passed by so quickly. I couldn't get what Plagg said out of my head. Marinette is dying. Ladybug is dying.

I woke up the next day with terrible nightmares. I barely had the energy to get ready for school. I didn't even notice till I arrived at school that I didn't brush my hair. So that leaves me where I'm at right now: at school, no energy in my body, messy hair, and with a heart of glass. Could my morning get any worse?

Spoiler alert: yes.

The teacher is talking about some history lesson in the past. I sit in my seat, dozing in and out of sleep, only paying attention to the parts of the lesson that I'm awake in. But, no matter if I'm sleeping or focused, I can't help but feel the feeling of someone staring me down from behind me.