Chapter 15 - A New Normal

Life resumed, pretty normal, for everyone on the island.

Except Tom.

He knew this was a bad idea - a horrible idea, in fact. He knew that he and Redd, whatever it was they were having, was a fling. It was brief - it would not last forever. He did not dwell on it, only take solace in their shared moments together, but it always crossed his mind for a few fleeting seconds. They were not made for each other, and Tom never again thought of the word "love" when he and Redd were together, only the word "fun." That was all it was - fun. It would never be more, because Tom wouldn't let it. They were too different. They could never be in synch with each other.

Vivi confronted him on the second week of the resumed normalcy.

Tom was at his desk, continuously clicking a pen, holding himself to earth with the sound. His coffee mug was long since empty next to him, but he did not dwell on it. Evening sun danced through the windows, twirling on the floor and desks. It was ever-changing as the leaves on the trees surrounding Town Hall whirled with the light breeze, sending the gold rays everywhere. Isabelle's desk sat vacant, dust collecting on the rim of her coffee cup. Digby would want to hear from me, I have to visit him, Isabelle had told Tom. So she had gone. It had been a day since she'd left. Life was quiet.

The door was opened and shut in the next couple seconds. Tom forced himself to turn towards it, cramming the pen into his pen holder. Vivi was marching with purpose over to the counter. She did not sit down, instead she slammed the palm of her hand down on the DIY table area. That jolted Tom out of the well of his thoughts, pulling him back up for air.

"We need to talk."

Tom had an inkling that she would have confronted him, but as the first week had passed and the second had started, there had not been a word. Sighing heavily, he turned towards her, ready to face the music.

"I imagine this is about Redd, yes?"

"Tom..."

"I know, I know."

"How long will you let this go on?" Vivi cut him with her intense, jade-green eyes, "What even is 'this?'"

"I don't know."

"You would not BELIEVE IT. Isabelle was all caring, she wanted to check on you and help you. I had to tell her at least six times each day that you were taking care of it, but since we were all cooped up, she still was so antsy. The boys... oh jeez. They wanted to see you, see him, talk to both of you. I couldn't let them go up there! I had to keep tabs on EVERYONE."

"You are the mayor." Tom looked at her, deadpan.

"Can it, Tom! Seriously, what are you guys even doing?!"

"I don't know."

"No one does! If they suspect anything..."

"Isabelle's too caught up in her own world and the twins are too innocent!"

"No, that's not what I mean!"

"What do you mean?" Tom snapped.

Vivi sagged down on the stool. Tom still half glared, half watched her from his own seat.

"The residents are confused. Dom wants to know why he hasn't been kicked out yet."

"Dom?"

"Tom, you know? He tried to get me that painting for the museum. He's still mad about it." Vivi shrugged, "He needs an answer."

That incident had been put so far from Tom's mind, he barely remembered it.

"Oh." That was all he could think to say.